public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* how to cross-compile gdb for arm?
@ 2005-11-28  8:58 yang xiaoli
From: yang xiaoli @ 2005-11-28  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312; format=flowed, Size: 737 bytes --]

I'll corss-compile gdb for arm board, will use gdb to debug on arm board.
I use gdb6.0 or gdb6.3 and configure with:
CC=arm-linux-gcc ../gdb-6.3/configure --target=arm-linux \
--build=arm-linux --host=arm-linux

and has error when make:
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for arm-linux-gcc ...(cached) arm-linux-gcc
checking for c Compiler default output in a.out
checking whether the c compiler makes in
configure:error: cannot run c compiled programs

if you meant to cross compile usr "--host"
see 'config.log' for more details

I don't know how to do with it ,something wrong?

Ãâ·ÑÏÂÔØ MSN Explorer:   http://explorer.msn.com/lccn

* Re: how to cross-compile gdb for arm?
@ 2005-11-28  9:57 ` Neo Jia
From: Neo Jia @ 2005-11-28  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yang xiaoli; +Cc: gdb

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=GB2312, Size: 1036 bytes --]

hi,

You may refer to the following post, which has a build script.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-10/msg01339.html

Thanks,
Neo

--
I would remember that if researchers were not ambitions
probably today we haven't the technology we are using!

* Re: how to cross-compile gdb for arm?
@ 2005-11-28 22:01 ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2005-11-28 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yang xiaoli; +Cc: gdb

On 11/28/05, yang xiaoli <alula418@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'll corss-compile gdb for arm board, will use gdb to debug on arm board.
> I use gdb6.0 or gdb6.3 and configure with:
> CC=arm-linux-gcc ../gdb-6.3/configure --target=arm-linux \
> --build=arm-linux --host=arm-linux

What kind of machine are you compiling GDB itself on?  That should be
your --build.

What kind of machine do you intend to run GDB on while you debug your
ARM programs?  That should be your --host.

Will you run GDB on the same machine as the program being debugged?
Then your --host and --target should be the same.  If you're going to
run GDB on a different kind of machine (and debug over the network, or
over a serial line), then your --host and --target should be
different.

* Re: how to cross-compile gdb for arm?
@ 2005-11-29  3:24   ` yang xiaoli
From: yang xiaoli @ 2005-11-29  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)