public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB with options -i=mi & --nw doesn't enable mi
@ 2003-10-30  3:15 Bob Rossi
From: Bob Rossi @ 2003-10-30  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,

If I start gdb like this

gdb --i=mi --nw ./inferior_prog,

then the mi interpreter doesn't start.

This makes things difficult in the Cygwin environment for me, where the
Insight GUI comes up by default. Is this a bug? and/or is there a nice work
around?

I am using GDB 6.0 on Linux 2.4.18 (debian).

Thanks,
Bob Rossi

* Re: GDB with options -i=mi & --nw doesn't enable mi
@ 2003-10-30 19:10 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-10-30 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Rossi; +Cc: gdb

> Hi,
>
> If I start gdb like this
>
> gdb --i=mi --nw ./inferior_prog,

Just "gdb -i=mi" is sufficient.  From the source code:

             /* -nw is equivalent to -i=console.  */

so the above is equivalent to:

	-i=mi -i=console

> then the mi interpreter doesn't start.

> This makes things difficult in the Cygwin environment for me, where the
> Insight GUI comes up by default. Is this a bug? and/or is there a nice work
> around?

 From 5.3 on, Insight was made a separate program and the querk of "gdb"
sometimes starting "insight" was eliminated.  If you want to be robust
against an old old gdb, try:

	-nw -i=mi

> I am using GDB 6.0 on Linux 2.4.18 (debian).

Andrew

* Re: GDB with options -i=mi & --nw doesn't enable mi
@ 2003-10-30 20:45   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-10-30 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: bob, gdb

> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:10:24 -0500
> From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com>
>
> Just "gdb -i=mi" is sufficient.  From the source code:
>
>              /* -nw is equivalent to -i=console.  */
>
> so the above is equivalent to:
>
> 	-i=mi -i=console

I think we should tell that both in the manual and in the text
displayed by "gdb --help".