public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* openocd+gdb combo
@ 2022-02-23 16:11 Schneider, Maximilian
From: Schneider, Maximilian @ 2022-02-23 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,

I have written a relatively complex but very useful external loader+gdb python script for a piece of memory connected to one of the many chips we use.
I can now use openocd to connect and subsequently gdb with the aforementioned loader and script to read/write/erase !

However It is still a pain to have to start an openocd session before being able to launch the gdb command.

Is there a known way to package openocd and gdb together so that I can get convenient calling conventions like bellow?
./read_the_thing > memory_dump.bin

How would you recommend creating portable installations of gdb so that they can be shipped quickly to the unfortunate windows users?
I can imagine writing an extra tool that manages the sequencing of openocd+gdb but I would need executables I can run without installation to make it palatable for my colleagues.

Best Regards,
Maximilian Schneider

* Re: openocd+gdb combo
@ 2022-02-23 21:16 ` Jan Vrany
From: Jan Vrany @ 2022-02-23 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Schneider, Maximilian, gdb

On Wed, 2022-02-23 at 16:11 +0000, Schneider, Maximilian via Gdb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have written a relatively complex but very useful external loader+gdb python script for a piece of memory connected to one of the many chips we use.
> I can now use openocd to connect and subsequently gdb with the aforementioned loader and script to read/write/erase !
>
> However It is still a pain to have to start an openocd session before being able to launch the gdb command.
>
> Is there a known way to package openocd and gdb together so that I can get convenient calling conventions like bellow?
> ./read_the_thing > memory_dump.bin
>
> How would you recommend creating portable installations of gdb so that they can be shipped quickly to the unfortunate windows users?
> I can imagine writing an extra tool that manages the sequencing of openocd+gdb but I would need executables I can run without installation to make it palatable for my colleagues.

I was facing similar problem a year ago. Took me a bit to figure
out how to make a .zip you can download, unpack wherever you want
and use, including working python.

If you think it would help, I can try to extract the build script
from my CI and share some time later this or next week.

Jan

> Best Regards,
> Maximilian Schneider

* Re: openocd+gdb combo
@ 2022-02-25 23:24   ` Jan Vrany
From: Jan Vrany @ 2022-02-25 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Schneider, Maximilian, gdb

On Wed, 2022-02-23 at 21:16 +0000, Jan Vrany via Gdb wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-02-23 at 16:11 +0000, Schneider, Maximilian via Gdb wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have written a relatively complex but very useful external loader+gdb python script for a piece of memory connected to one of the many chips we use.
> > I can now use openocd to connect and subsequently gdb with the aforementioned loader and script to read/write/erase !
> >
> > However It is still a pain to have to start an openocd session before being able to launch the gdb command.
> >
> > Is there a known way to package openocd and gdb together so that I can get convenient calling conventions like bellow?
> > ./read_the_thing > memory_dump.bin
> >
> > How would you recommend creating portable installations of gdb so that they can be shipped quickly to the unfortunate windows users?
> > I can imagine writing an extra tool that manages the sequencing of openocd+gdb but I would need executables I can run without installation to make it palatable for my colleagues.
> >
> I was facing similar problem a year ago. Took me a bit to figure
> out how to make a .zip you can download, unpack wherever you want
> and use, including working python.
>
> If you think it would help, I can try to extract the build script
> from my CI and share some time later this or next week.

You may find the script here: https://github.com/janvrany/binutils-gdb-devscripts

HTH, Jan