public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* gdb not displaying frame info after a "next"
@ 2018-10-09 19:00 Steve Biederman
From: Steve Biederman @ 2018-10-09 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

My Linux gdb (8.1 or 7.anything) is no longer automatically showing the frame information after

a "next".   It knows the frame information; if I follow every "next"

with a "frame", the "frame" command does the right thing, but "next"

all by itself does not print anything but a fresh (gdb) prompt.

Googling has found me no one else who has ever encountered this as far

as my Googling skills can tell.

How can I debug what the cause and solution is?

* Re: gdb not displaying frame info after a "next"
@ 2018-10-23 20:17 ` Simon Marchi
From: Simon Marchi @ 2018-10-23 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Biederman; +Cc: gdb

On 2018-10-09 14:59, Steve Biederman wrote:
> My Linux gdb (8.1 or 7.anything) is no longer automatically showing
> the frame information after
>
> a "next".   It knows the frame information; if I follow every "next"
>
> with a "frame", the "frame" command does the right thing, but "next"
>
> all by itself does not print anything but a fresh (gdb) prompt.
>
> Googling has found me no one else who has ever encountered this as far
>
> as my Googling skills can tell.
>

> How can I debug what the cause and solution is?

GDB will only print the frame if the frame changes, for example if next
causes the program to exit a function:

(gdb) n
5	    return pouf;
(gdb)
6	}
(gdb)
main () at test.c:10
10	  sleep(2);

Is this what you get?  Do you expect something else?

Simon