public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Steve Folly <gdb-list@spfweb.co.uk>
To: GDB List <gdb@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:08:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 28 Sep 2005, at 11:37, Andrew STUBBS wrote:

> The top level configure script may do, but as Daniel says the GDB
> sources do not.

I see now. I'm new to configure scripts. :-)

> Look at www.mingw.org for GDB MinGW patches (GDB 6.3-1 last time I
> looked). These will get it to compile for MinGW, but, even if they
> can be made to cross compile, Daniel's point about remote debugging
> still stands. I can see why you wouldn't want to use Windows as a
> build platform, but I suggest that, unless you have a good reason
> not to, you debug the programs natively using the native MinGW GDB.
> You can probably download a binary from their website along with
> the rest of MinGW/MSYS.

Some of our apps run full screen and having a remote machine to debug
on helps quite a bit.

I guess dual-screen capable PCs will help here, but our current
hardware (supplied by our customer) doesn't support that.

> Alternatively, the GDB in Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) is capable of
> debugging MinGW programs. Cygwin also has support for compiling
> them with 'gcc -mno-cygwin'. Note that the standard Cygwin install
> does not include developer tools, but the installation tool is
> quite easy to use.

I think Cygwin may be the way to go - some makefiles we have running
on OS X are using utilities like sed and grep, and we'd like to port
them to Windows with the minimum of fuss.

Thanks very much for your advice.

--
Regards,
Steve.