public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* "Debug after fail lib" feature
@ 2011-04-07 23:11 kotomart
From: kotomart @ 2011-04-07 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB

There is another one pretty good (from my point of view) feature.
Short, and maybe rough, description:

This feature is a cross-platform (thought that's meters) library, that
can be included in the target application. If the application fails,
does not meter why, with this library included the gdb screen will
appear and provide an ability to see what happened with an
application. I thought that is too easy, but after a little reading
about application failures I have changed this opinion.

Is this feature useful? Is it already implemented? If useful and not
implemented, which of this and this (
http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2011-03/msg00178.html ) one fits better
for GSoC?
----------------------
kotomart.

* Re: "Debug after fail lib" feature
@ 2011-04-08  9:11 ` Kevin Pouget
From: Kevin Pouget @ 2011-04-08  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kotomart; +Cc: GDB

The idea has been discussed in
ftp://ftp.cs.umd.edu/pub/hpsl/papers/papers-pdf/cluster2002.pdf as
"just-in-time debugging" and sounds quite useful to me, but I'm afraid
it would only require a few hours of work a working prototype, not
enough for a GSoC project ...