public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB Python API: stop/continue after breakpoint
@ 2011-03-11 16:09 Kevin Pouget
From: Kevin Pouget @ 2011-03-11 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,

I've tried the GDB python interface today, which seems quite
efficient, but there is one important thing I couldn't figure out by
myself:

how to restart GDB when a[n internal] breakpoint is hit ?
from the testsuite I've got this code:

def breakpoint_stop_handler (event):
    if (isinstance (event, gdb.StopEvent)):
        print "event type: stop"
    if (isinstance (event, gdb.BreakpointEvent)):
        print "stop reason: breakpoint"
        print "breakpoint number: %s" % (event.breakpoint.number)
        if ( event.inferior_thread is not None) :
            print "thread num: %s" % (event.inferior_thread.num);
        else:
            print "all threads stopped"

gdb.events.stop.connect (breakpoint_stop_handler)

which where I get the notification of the stop, but I'd to be able to
tell GDB something like

enum bpstat_what_main_action {
    /* Remove breakpoints, single step once, then put them back in and
       be removed from the main_action and put into a separate field,
       to more cleanly handle  BPSTAT_WHAT_CLEAR_LONGJMP_RESUME_SINGLE.  */
    BPSTAT_WHAT_SINGLE,
    /* Stop silently.  */
    BPSTAT_WHAT_STOP_SILENT,

    /* Stop and print.  */
    BPSTAT_WHAT_STOP_NOISY,

to continue silently, stop silently or print the breakpoint hit.

is it possible at this stage ?

Thanks,

Kevin