public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* gdb/mi, new-ui. the console and determining when GDB is ready for the next command
@ 2019-10-22 23:15 Robert Rossi
From: Robert Rossi @ 2019-10-22 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB Development

Hi,

The question I have is, how are people determining when GDB is ready for
the next
command when using the new-ui feature of GDB?
Are people parsing the CLI window for (gdb)?
Am I missing something obvious?

CGDB has historically used annotations to communicate with gdb.
This provided pre-prompt and post-prompt annotations to determine when the
GDB prompt
was available and ready for the next command.

A couple of years ago I decided to try to port CGDB from annotations to MI.
At the time I asked the GDB mailing list how to determine when GDB was
ready for the next
command, Pedro Alves wrote:
    GDB is ready for input when it prints the MI prompt.  There's one
prompt that is
    already printed after ^running that you should ignore. That's an
historical wart.
I got CGDB working but never completed the activity when I realized that
using -i=mi
caused GDB to no longer treat the terminal as an interactive terminal.
Meaning, GDB wouldn't do tab completion and/or ask the user if they were
ready to quit.

Now I'm considering trying this again using the GDB new-ui feature.
In this mode the CLI remains in the starting terminal and the MI is moved
to the new-ui tty.
I noticed that in the new-ui window, the MI end token (gdb)\n isn't put
out. Is this intentional?
In this mode, what's the proper way to determine if GDB is ready for
another command?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi