public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* KGTP (Linux Kernel debugger and tracer) 20111218 release
@ 2011-12-18 12:12 Hui Zhu
From: Hui Zhu @ 2011-12-18 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, gdb, kgtp
  Cc: Marc Khouzam, Thiago Jung Bauermann, Steven, colyli,
	Christoph Hellwig, Steven Rostedt, Randy Dunlap, Geunsik Lim

KGTP is a realtime and lightweight Linux Kernel debugger and tracer.

It makes Linux Kernel supply a GDB remote debug interface. Then GDB in
current machine or remote machine (see
https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HOWTO#Make_GDB_connect_to_gtp) can
debug and trace Linux through GDB tracepoint without stopping the
Linux Kernel.
And even if the board doesn't have GDB on it and doesn't have
interface for remote debug. It can debug the Linux Kernel using
offline debug (See
https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HOWTO#Offline_debug).
And it can work with Android (See
https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HowToUseKGTPinAndroid).
Now, it supports X86-32, X86-64, MIPS and ARM.

Now, KGTP 20111218 release.
You can get the package for it from
http://kgtp.googlecode.com/files/kgtp_20111218.tar.bz2
or
svn co https://kgtp.googlecode.com/svn/tags/20111218

The change of this release is:
Add gtp_rb to be the new frame buffer to make trace record speed up
and more friendly to the older version Linux kernel.
Rename gtp.patch to gtp_for_review.patch.
Add Linux Kernel patch gtp_3.0_to_upstream.patch(3.0 to upstream),
gtp_2.6.39.patch(2.6.39), gtp_2.6.33_to_2.6.38.patch(2.6.33 to 2.6.38)
and gtp_older_to_2.6.32.patch(older to 2.6.32).
Then you can include KGTP in your Kernel source tree.
Add special trace state variable $gtp_version to show the version of KGTP.
Fix some build errors of gtp_for_review.patch.
Fix some build errors in ARM.
Update doc.
To get other change info please goto https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/UPDATE

According to the comments of Christoph.  I make a patch for Linux
Kernel and make it looks OK with checkpatch.pl.  The file
gtp_for_review.patch is include in the source of KGTP code.

Thanks,
Hui

* Re: KGTP (Linux Kernel debugger and tracer) 20111218 release
@ 2011-12-23  4:58 ` Geunsik Lim
From: Geunsik Lim @ 2011-12-23  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hui Zhu
  Cc: linux-kernel, gdb, kgtp, Marc Khouzam, Thiago Jung Bauermann,
	Steven, colyli, Christoph Hellwig, Steven Rostedt, Randy Dunlap

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Hui Zhu <teawater@gmail.com> wrote:
> KGTP is a realtime and lightweight Linux Kernel debugger and tracer.
>
> It makes Linux Kernel supply a GDB remote debug interface. Then GDB in
> current machine or remote machine (see
> https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HOWTO#Make_GDB_connect_to_gtp) can
> debug and trace Linux through GDB tracepoint without stopping the
> Linux Kernel.
> And even if the board doesn't have GDB on it and doesn't have
> interface for remote debug. It can debug the Linux Kernel using
> offline debug (See
> https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HOWTO#Offline_debug).
> And it can work with Android (See
> https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HowToUseKGTPinAndroid).
> Now, it supports X86-32, X86-64, MIPS and ARM.
>
> Now, KGTP 20111218 release.
> You can get the package for it from
> http://kgtp.googlecode.com/files/kgtp_20111218.tar.bz2
> or
> svn co https://kgtp.googlecode.com/svn/tags/20111218
>
> The change of this release is:
> Add gtp_rb to be the new frame buffer to make trace record speed up
> and more friendly to the older version Linux kernel.
> Rename gtp.patch to gtp_for_review.patch.
> Add Linux Kernel patch gtp_3.0_to_upstream.patch(3.0 to upstream),
> gtp_2.6.39.patch(2.6.39), gtp_2.6.33_to_2.6.38.patch(2.6.33 to 2.6.38)
> and gtp_older_to_2.6.32.patch(older to 2.6.32).
Thank you for your upgrade work for the compatibility among various
linux version.
I am testing normally on evaluation board based on ARM cortex using
the latest Linux.
> Then you can include KGTP in your Kernel source tree.
> Add special trace state variable $gtp_version to show the version of KGTP.
> Fix some build errors of gtp_for_review.patch.
> Fix some build errors in ARM.
> Update doc.
> To get other change info please goto https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/UPDATE
>
> According to the comments of Christoph.  I make a patch for Linux
> Kernel and make it looks OK with checkpatch.pl.  The file
> gtp_for_review.patch is include in the source of KGTP code.
I have one question about KGTP.
Previously, GDB Tracepoints for linux Linux kernel 2.6.19 is developed
by Jim Blandy
of Cygnus. He also presented to share this practical approach at FOSDEM 2007.
If you can, Can you explain the difference(e.g: merits, demerits, and
so on) between
GDB Tracepoint of Jim  and KGTP by you?

--
Best regards,
Geunsik Lim ( Samsung Electronics )

* Re: KGTP (Linux Kernel debugger and tracer) 20111218 release
@ 2011-12-23  6:22   ` Hui Zhu
From: Hui Zhu @ 2011-12-23  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geunsik Lim
  Cc: linux-kernel, gdb, kgtp, Marc Khouzam, Thiago Jung Bauermann,
	Steven, colyli, Christoph Hellwig, Steven Rostedt, Randy Dunlap

Hi Geunsik,

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:58, Geunsik Lim <leemgs1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Hui Zhu <teawater@gmail.com> wrote:
>> KGTP is a realtime and lightweight Linux Kernel debugger and tracer.
>>
>> It makes Linux Kernel supply a GDB remote debug interface. Then GDB in
>> current machine or remote machine (see
>> https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HOWTO#Make_GDB_connect_to_gtp) can
>> debug and trace Linux through GDB tracepoint without stopping the
>> Linux Kernel.
>> And even if the board doesn't have GDB on it and doesn't have
>> interface for remote debug. It can debug the Linux Kernel using
>> offline debug (See
>> https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HOWTO#Offline_debug).
>> And it can work with Android (See
>> https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HowToUseKGTPinAndroid).
>> Now, it supports X86-32, X86-64, MIPS and ARM.
>>
>> Now, KGTP 20111218 release.
>> You can get the package for it from
>> http://kgtp.googlecode.com/files/kgtp_20111218.tar.bz2
>> or
>> svn co https://kgtp.googlecode.com/svn/tags/20111218
>>
>> The change of this release is:
>> Add gtp_rb to be the new frame buffer to make trace record speed up
>> and more friendly to the older version Linux kernel.
>> Rename gtp.patch to gtp_for_review.patch.
>> Add Linux Kernel patch gtp_3.0_to_upstream.patch(3.0 to upstream),
>> gtp_2.6.39.patch(2.6.39), gtp_2.6.33_to_2.6.38.patch(2.6.33 to 2.6.38)
>> and gtp_older_to_2.6.32.patch(older to 2.6.32).
> Thank you for your upgrade work for the compatibility among various
> linux version.
> I am testing normally on evaluation board based on ARM cortex using
> the latest Linux.

Thanks.  Please tell me if you get some trouble with it.

>> Then you can include KGTP in your Kernel source tree.
>> Add special trace state variable $gtp_version to show the version of KGTP.
>> Fix some build errors of gtp_for_review.patch.
>> Fix some build errors in ARM.
>> Update doc.
>> To get other change info please goto https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/UPDATE
>>
>> According to the comments of Christoph.  I make a patch for Linux
>> Kernel and make it looks OK with checkpatch.pl.  The file
>> gtp_for_review.patch is include in the source of KGTP code.
> I have one question about KGTP.
> Previously, GDB Tracepoints for linux Linux kernel 2.6.19 is developed
> by Jim Blandy
> of Cygnus. He also presented to share this practical approach at FOSDEM 2007.
> If you can, Can you explain the difference(e.g: merits, demerits, and
> so on) between
> GDB Tracepoint of Jim  and KGTP by you?

I am not sure about this one.  Because I cannot find anything about
it.  Could you give me a link or something?

For now, I just know the difference is I am a GDB developer too.  So I
can make KGTP develop more close to GDB devekop.  It can handle some
issue more easy.

Thanks,
Hui

@ 2011-12-26  7:54     ` Geunsik Lim
From: Geunsik Lim @ 2011-12-26  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hui Zhu
  Cc: linux-kernel, gdb, kgtp, Marc Khouzam, Thiago Jung Bauermann,

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Hui Zhu <teawater@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Geunsik,
>
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:58, Geunsik Lim <leemgs1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Hui Zhu <teawater@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> KGTP is a realtime and lightweight Linux Kernel debugger and tracer.
>>>
>>> It makes Linux Kernel supply a GDB remote debug interface. Then GDB in
>>> current machine or remote machine (see
>>> https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HOWTO#Make_GDB_connect_to_gtp) can
>>> debug and trace Linux through GDB tracepoint without stopping the
>>> Linux Kernel.
>>> And even if the board doesn't have GDB on it and doesn't have
>>> interface for remote debug. It can debug the Linux Kernel using
>>> offline debug (See
>>> https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HOWTO#Offline_debug).
>>> And it can work with Android (See
>>> https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/HowToUseKGTPinAndroid).
>>> Now, it supports X86-32, X86-64, MIPS and ARM.
>>>
>>> Now, KGTP 20111218 release.
>>> You can get the package for it from
>>> http://kgtp.googlecode.com/files/kgtp_20111218.tar.bz2
>>> or
>>> svn co https://kgtp.googlecode.com/svn/tags/20111218
>>>
>>> The change of this release is:
>>> Add gtp_rb to be the new frame buffer to make trace record speed up
>>> and more friendly to the older version Linux kernel.
>>> Rename gtp.patch to gtp_for_review.patch.
>>> Add Linux Kernel patch gtp_3.0_to_upstream.patch(3.0 to upstream),
>>> gtp_2.6.39.patch(2.6.39), gtp_2.6.33_to_2.6.38.patch(2.6.33 to 2.6.38)
>>> and gtp_older_to_2.6.32.patch(older to 2.6.32).
>> Thank you for your upgrade work for the compatibility among various
>> linux version.
>> I am testing normally on evaluation board based on ARM cortex using
>> the latest Linux.
>
> Thanks.  Please tell me if you get some trouble with it.
>
>>> Then you can include KGTP in your Kernel source tree.
>>> Add special trace state variable $gtp_version to show the version of KGTP.
>>> Fix some build errors of gtp_for_review.patch.
>>> Fix some build errors in ARM.
>>> Update doc.
>>> To get other change info please goto https://code.google.com/p/kgtp/wiki/UPDATE
>>>
>>> According to the comments of Christoph.  I make a patch for Linux
>>> Kernel and make it looks OK with checkpatch.pl.  The file
>>> gtp_for_review.patch is include in the source of KGTP code.
>> I have one question about KGTP.
>> Previously, GDB Tracepoints for linux Linux kernel 2.6.19 is developed
>> by Jim Blandy
>> of Cygnus. He also presented to share this practical approach at FOSDEM 2007.
>> If you can, Can you explain the difference(e.g: merits, demerits, and
>> so on) between
>> GDB Tracepoint of Jim  and KGTP by you?
>
> I am not sure about this one.  Because I cannot find anything about
> it.  Could you give me a link or something?
Sorry I am late because of X-mas day.
Refer to http://www.red-bean.com/trac/tracepoints
You can read about Tracepoints for the Linux kernel in detail at the
above website .

@ 2012-01-04 15:13       ` Hui Zhu
From: Hui Zhu @ 2012-01-04 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geunsik Lim
  Cc: linux-kernel, gdb, kgtp, Marc Khouzam, Thiago Jung Bauermann,

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 15:53, Geunsik Lim <leemgs1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Hui Zhu <teawater@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Geunsik,

>>> Thank you for your upgrade work for the compatibility among various
>>> linux version.
>>> I am testing normally on evaluation board based on ARM cortex using
>>> the latest Linux.
>>
>> Thanks.  Please tell me if you get some trouble with it.

>>> I have one question about KGTP.
>>> Previously, GDB Tracepoints for linux Linux kernel 2.6.19 is developed
>>> by Jim Blandy
>>> of Cygnus. He also presented to share this practical approach at FOSDEM 2007.
>>> If you can, Can you explain the difference(e.g: merits, demerits, and
>>> so on) between
>>> GDB Tracepoint of Jim  and KGTP by you?
>>
>> I am not sure about this one.  Because I cannot find anything about
>> it.  Could you give me a link or something?
> Sorry I am late because of X-mas day.
> Refer to http://www.red-bean.com/trac/tracepoints
> You can read about Tracepoints for the Linux kernel in detail at the
> above website .

Is it included in Kernel upstream?
It is not update for a long time.

@ 2012-01-04 15:48         ` Geunsik Lim
From: Geunsik Lim @ 2012-01-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hui Zhu
  Cc: linux-kernel, gdb, kgtp, Marc Khouzam, Thiago Jung Bauermann,

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Hui Zhu <teawater@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 15:53, Geunsik Lim <leemgs1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Hui Zhu <teawater@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Geunsik,

>>> Thanks.  Please tell me if you get some trouble with it.

>>> I am not sure about this one.  Because I cannot find anything about
>>> it.  Could you give me a link or something?
>> Sorry I am late because of X-mas day.
>> Refer to http://www.red-bean.com/trac/tracepoints
>> You can read about Tracepoints for the Linux kernel in detail at the
>> above website .
>
> Is it included in Kernel upstream?
Currently, GDB Tracepoint of Jim is not included in mainline version.
> It is not update for a long time.
My questions is not the merging issue into latest Linux (upstream kernel).
I want  you to explain the merits of KGTP compared to GDB Tracepoint
of Jim that presented
at FOSDEM 2007.

When I compared/checked  internals between KGTP and GDB Tracepoint of
Jim, It seems
 that  both are same approaches. Can you share the difference(e.g:
merits, demerits, design,
and so on) between GDB Tracepoint of Jim  and KGTP of you If you can?

Thanks.