public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Sterling Augustine <saugustine@google.com>
To: Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com>
Cc: Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com>,
	Reuben Thomas via Gdb <gdb@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: How to display instructions around the current instuction?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 18:22:03 -0800	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 6:07 PM Peng Yu via Gdb <gdb@sourceware.org> wrote:

> > I hate to take this further offtopic but would like you to consider
> > that if people were required to test all suggestions first,
>
> That is not what I meant. See below.
>
> > many
> > test my hook-stop suggestion. I am not sure that people would be
> > better off in such a world.
>
> The point is the answer is better to be correct.

Remind me: How many contributions have you made to gdb?

> If it is known to be
> correct, of course, there is no need to test it. But if the sender is
> not sure, it is better to test it to make sure. If a sender sends out
> a wrong answer, s/he does show respect to the recipient.

You have a strange, rather binary view, of "correct" vs "incorrect".
Every single idea here does something approximately like what you
want. Many people in the past asking similar questions would have been
perfectly fine with a wide variety of answers. You might not like it,
but you don't get to decide what the proper etiquette in this mailing
list.

If you decide they aren't exact enough, then, well, not much we can
do. But most people who come begging for help from people who are just
trying to be kind are willing to at least work with the possible
answers, and see if they can adapt them, rather than playing like they
are proctoring a test.

 It is not our job to give you technical support--nor is it this
mailing list's reason for existence. You are lucky people are
answering at all.

I would rather people try to help than refrain from answering in case
it isn't exactly what the beggar wanted. That is how this list has
always worked in the two-decades I've been a part of it.

In fact, you have really no room to insist people help you in any
particular way. We have all worked on gdb for years--maybe decades. We
have all been active on this list for as long. So insisting we follow
your preferences rather than ours is incredibly rude.

How many patches do have in gdb again?