public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Mike Leach <mike.leach@linaro.org>
To: Zied Guermazi <zied.guermazi@trande.de>
Cc: linaro-toolchain@lists.linaro.org,
	 Coresight ML <coresight@lists.linaro.org>,
	markus.t.metzger@intel.com,  luis.machado@linaro.org,
	gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: GDB: etm traces decoding and breakpoints for arm targets
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 11:02:23 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Zied,

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 15:52, Zied Guermazi <zied.guermazi@trande.de> wrote:

> hi
>
> Thanks Mike for your support, it was very helpful.
>
> to put everything together, on arm, gdb inserts a sw breakpoint by patching the code with an undefined instruction ( see comments in  arm-tdep.c line7687) when a breakpoint is hit, an exception number 9 "Undefined Instruction exception" is raised and a branch packet with this info is generated in etm traces, the trap is get handled by the kernel and it sends the appropriate signal to gdb process.

Looks like that code was designed for very early architectures. I
wonder if it should not use the architected BKPT instruction when
available (arch v5T onwards I think).

> when the user continues the execution, gdb patches back the code and executes the instruction. this leads to the instruction traced twice with an exception in between, the same happens for next executed instruction
>
> here is the log of decoded packets
>
> [btrace] [ftrace] update insn: fun = main, file = ./function_call_history.c, level = 0, insn = [1; 2)
> cs_etm_decoder_trace_element_callback: elem->elem_type OCSD_GEN_TRC_ELEM_INSTR_RANGE <= first execution attempt that raises an undefined instruction exception
> trace_chan_id: 18
> isa: CS_ETM_ISA_T32
> start addr = 0x400534
> end addr   = 0x400536
> instructions count = 1
> last_i_type: OCSD_INSTR_OTHER
> last_i_subtype: OCSD_S_INSTR_NONE
> last instruction was executed
> last instruction size: 2
> [btrace] [ftrace] update insn: fun = main, file = ./function_call_history.c, level = 0, insn = [1; 3)
> cs_etm_decoder_trace_element_callback: elem->elem_type OCSD_GEN_TRC_ELEM_EXCEPTION  <= the exception is traced
> trace_chan_id: 18
> exception number: 9 <= undefined instruction exception
> cs_etm_decoder_trace_element_callback: elem->elem_type OCSD_GEN_TRC_ELEM_TRACE_ON
> cs_etm_decoder_trace_element_callback: elem->elem_type OCSD_GEN_TRC_ELEM_PE_CONTEXT
> cs_etm_decoder_trace_element_callback: elem->elem_type OCSD_GEN_TRC_ELEM_INSTR_RANGE <= execution of the original instruction
> trace_chan_id: 18
> isa: CS_ETM_ISA_T32
> start addr = 0x400534
> end addr   = 0x400536
> instructions count = 1
> last_i_type: OCSD_INSTR_OTHER
> last_i_subtype: OCSD_S_INSTR_NONE
> last instruction was executed
> last instruction size: 2
>
> as the code was changed during execution, it can not be reconstructed during traces decoding.
>
> in addition, and for tracing applications running on Linux, we are not interested in capturing raised exceptions, we can consider rolling back last instruction in ftraces. As this is not obvious, we can consider ignoring the repeated instruction as a workaround.
>
> for tracing bare metal software, we need to keep tracing exception, so we can have a flag for ignoring exceptions, and activate or dis-activate it according to the context.
>
> what do you think about it, shall I go for implementing it as described above?

I assume that in this scenario, trace collection is ongoing over the
BKPT hit / restart sequence and is decoded at some point later.
Otherwise spotting the breakpoint would be easy.

I cannot think of many circumstances where an instruction would be
executed  - or appear to be executed in the trace twice in succession*
- other than being restarted after an exception. This debug case is
one of those occasions - I would check that there are not other
exceptions that might mimic this.

Other than that it would appear that the execute / exception / execute
again pattern can be used to spot a break and the 1st execute could be
dropped since this was the breakpoint. If it was set on a conditional
then you are interested in the actual trace result which could be
either executed or not.

Regards

Mike

* branch to self might appear like this, as would setting the trace
address filters to a include just single instruction - but there would
be no intervening exceptions in these cases.

Mike Leach
Principal Engineer, ARM Ltd.
Manchester Design Centre. UK