public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Yichao Yu <yyc1992@gmail.com>
To: Luis Machado <luis.machado@arm.com>
Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Restoring pc to a different value than lr on aarch64
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 10:24:54 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 6:44 AM Luis Machado <luis.machado@arm.com> wrote:

> >> I agree the current code makes sense for what gcc generates. However,
> >> I think given the document from arm, explicitly setting the PC value
> >> in the unwind info should also work.
> >> Would a patch similar to the one above be acceptable to fix this issue?
> >>
> >> A related issue is that gdb also seems to be ignoring the return
> >> address register in CIE. There is at least one use of it in glibc[2]
> >> where the return address register is set to x15 instead.
> >> I've verified that gdb is currently unable to unwind after the call to
> >> `strlen` from `rawmemchr` even though the return address is still in
> >> x15.
> >> I thought this can be fixed by chaiming that PC is RA just like the
> >> fallback case but that is apparently not working...
> >
> > Actually this did work but the address is wrong before the value was
> > written to x15... So it was just due to incorrect unwind info (the
> > glibc implementation should specify how to find x15 on the entry of
> > rawmemchr).
> > Is the current implementation due to some edge cases? (like old
> > compiler version doesn't put a valid value in the CIE for the return
> > address register). It seems that many other architecture simply use
> > _RA so I don't see why this would have broader problems...
>
> It is probably historical that this has been handled like this. If there
> is a use case for having a PC column containing distinct data, then we
> could support that.

I couldn't find any existed code using this, but it seems that this is
the intent from ARM and I really can't think of any other way to
restore everything including both pc and lr so I'd like to support
that at least....

> It wouldn't be as simple as that change you mentioned though, as other
> parts of the code assume PC comes from the LR.

There are indeed other unwinders (the prologue unwinder) that assumes
this, which I think should be fine. Specifying the PC explicitly
should only apply to the dwarf unwinder. The only other place where I
can find that relies on this is aarch64_gen_return_address. It doesn't
seem that this function is used in most of the other logics and if the
return address column is somehow accessible from here it should also
not be too hard to fix.

Is there any other cases that I'm missing? I've also tested with my
simple change and it seems that unwinding from normal functions still
works as intended.

> PC is probably specified
> as DWARF2_FRAME_REG_SAME_VALUE (as far as I remember), so it will cause
> some issues during unwinding.

I don't believe this is the case. AFAICT, the only way gcc emits debug
info to specify that pc is in lr without relying on architecture
detail is that it specifies the return address column is 30 in the
CIE. Currently, on aarch64, the return address column is basically
never used but if the how for PC is changed to RA then it seems that
gdb does pick it up correctly.