public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Christophe Lyon <christophe.lyon@linaro.org>
To: Simon Marchi <simark@simark.ca>
Cc: binutils@sourceware.org, gdb@sourceware.org, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] add regenerate Makefile target
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:22:57 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi!

On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 at 15:19, Christophe Lyon
<christophe.lyon@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 at 15:32, Christophe Lyon
> <christophe.lyon@linaro.org> wrote:

> > > The rules looks complex because they've been generated by automake, this
> > > Makefile.in is not written by hand.  And I guess automake has put
> > > `--foreign` there because foreign is used in Makefile.am:
> > Yes, I know :-)
> >

> > >   AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign no-dist
> > >
> > > But a simple call so `automake -f` (or `autoreconf -f`) just works, as
> > > automake picks up the foreign option from AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS, so a human
> > > or an external script who wants to regenerate things would probably just
> > > use that.
> >
> > Indeed. I guess my concern is: if some change happens to
> > Makefile.am/Makefile.in which would imply that 'autoreconf -f' would
> > not work, how do we make sure autoregen.py (or whatever script) is
> > updated accordingly? Or maybe whatever change is made to
> > Makefile.am/Makefile.in, 'autoreconf -f' is supposed to handle it
> > without additional flag?
> >
> I think I've just noticed a variant of this: if you look at
> opcodes/Makefile.in, you can see that aclocal.m4 depends on
> configure.ac (among others). So if configure.ac is updated, a
> maintainer-mode rule in Makefile.in will call aclocal and regenerate
> aclocal.m4.
>
> However, autoregen.py calls aclocal only if configure.ac contains
> AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS, which is not the case here.
>
> That's probably a bug in opcode/configure.ac, but still the current
> Makefile.in machinery would update aclocal.m4 as needed when
> autoregen.py will not.
>
> I haven't audited all configure.ac but there are probably other
> occurrences of this.

As another follow-up on this topic, while working on a tentative GCC
patch to implement this, I realized an obvious issue: all target
libraries configure steps depend on 'all-gcc' (of course, we need a
compiler to build the libs...)

So they idea of doing roughly:
- configure --enable-maintainer-mode
- make regenerate -j1  (to avoid current race conditions in maintainer-mode)
- make all -jXXX

means that the regenerate step will trigger the configure step for all
host and target subdirs as needed, and configuring target-libs
requires building 'all-gcc', which would happen at -j1 !

sigh :-)

Looks like we should handle binutils, gdb, and gcc differently for the
sake of precommit CI.

Thanks,

Christophe