public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Bare metal gdb stub/server implementation
       [not found] <DUB122-W730C2001FD91F22F856C4DC420@phx.gbl>
@ 2015-09-25 23:52 ` Juha
From: Juha @ 2015-09-25 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I have tried to find the answer by googling, in manuals and tried asking in
freenode chat (#gdb) but haven't come up with an answer...

Where could I find the "right" way to handle things like process IDs and
thread IDs in a bare metal case, where there really are no processes or threads?

I'm trying to put together a standalone gdb stub/server for Raspberry Pi B2.
(I'm not sure what to call it: it has stub functionality, but is standalone
and as such works like a server.)

I have started with a single core, and maybe one day I'll expand to all 4 cores.

Should I fake the gdb client that there are processes or threads? If,
then which way would be better: single process with 4 threads (= cores) or
4 processes without multithreading support? Maybe there is still a better option?

Also, now, when my 'stub' starts and gdb client asks for reason for halt ('?'),
I respond that a program has finished (W 00). Is that a good choise?

-Juha Aaltonen

* Re: Bare metal gdb stub/server implementation
@ 2015-09-26  1:48   ` Duane Ellis
From: Duane Ellis @ 2015-09-26  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juha; +Cc: gdb

> I'm trying to put together a standalone gdb stub/server for Raspberry Pi B2.
> (I'm not sure what to call it: it has stub functionality, but is standalone
> and as such works like a server.)

Are you sure you are talking about bare metal on raspberry pi?
I think you mean Linux Kernel debug (not application debug) via JTAG

Take a look at the open source JTAG solution called “OpenOCD”

Specifically look at the “rtos” directory for linux stuff.

-Duane