public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: Does GDB use VMA addresses when uploading an image to debug in a remote target?
@ 2006-02-22 19:21 Fabrício de Novaes
From: Fabrício de Novaes @ 2006-02-22 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gdb

Hello Daniel, what a quick answer! Thank you!

About your doubt:

> I'm not sure that what you're suggesting makes sense.  How could
> GDB send the text section to its LMA, if that's a ROM address?
> The stub will be unable to write to ROM, unless (for example)
> it is transparently rewriting a flash device or shadowing it with
> RAM.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I'm using a simulator so GDB can put the sections in any address, ROM or RAM.

My .boot section, for example, is loaded into the ROM area (starting at 0x00). I'd like to do the same with the .text section, but the VMA and LMA are different, and, as you just confirmed, GDB uses VMA.

I can't make VMA and LMA the same, or the program will not run in RAM. So the question is: there's a way to tell GDB to use LMA instead of VMA when loading a program?

Regards,

Fabrício.

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote ..

@ 2006-02-22 19:23 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-02-22 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrício de Novaes; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:30:20PM -0300, Fabrício de Novaes wrote:
> I can't make VMA and LMA the same, or the program will not run in
> RAM. So the question is: there's a way to tell GDB to use LMA instead
> of VMA when loading a program?

No, today there is not.  You might be able to accomplish this by using
objcopy to create a copy of the program with different VMAs, and

Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* RES: Does GDB use VMA addresses when uploading an image to debug in a remote target?
@ 2006-02-25  4:39   ` Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis
From: Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis @ 2006-02-25  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz, pkoning; +Cc: gdb

Ok, knowing that I'll change my program to test the routines I want.

Daniel, Paul, thank you very much for the help!
Best regards,

Fabrício.

Enviada em: quarta-feira, 22 de fevereiro de 2006 15:38
Para: Fabrício de Novaes
Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
Assunto: Re: Does GDB use VMA addresses when uploading an image to debug
in a remote target?

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:30:20PM -0300, Fabrício de Novaes wrote:
> I can't make VMA and LMA the same, or the program will not run in
> RAM. So the question is: there's a way to tell GDB to use LMA instead
> of VMA when loading a program?

No, today there is not.  You might be able to accomplish this by using
objcopy to create a copy of the program with different VMAs, and

Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: RES: Does GDB use VMA addresses when uploading an image to debug in a remote target?
       [not found] ` <AGEIJDMABNDJLNBDGKBPMEBFCDAA.fabricio@dea.inpe.br>
@ 2006-09-01 17:03   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2006-09-01 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis; +Cc: Paul Koning, gdb

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 01:57:31PM -0300, Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis wrote:
> Hello Daniel,
>

> I'm using GDB 5.2, an old version from mid-2002. I didn't know if the way
> this version loads addresses was right, or if it was a bug. You explained to
> me that GDB uses VMA by default, and you were probably right - for that
> version.

Aha - I might be mistaken, but it looks as if this was fixed about a
month after GDB 5.2 branched.  GDB has always requested the LMA, but in
mid-April a BFD bug was fixed in the setting of LMAs.

Thanks for responding.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery