public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Can one debug 32-bit x86 images with an x86_64 gdb?
@ 2005-01-04 17:46 John Yates
From: John Yates @ 2005-01-04 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb (E-mail)

We are starting to port our 32 bit product to an x86_64
platform (RH 4.0 beta2).  Once we have it running as a
32 bit image (still compiled with gcc 2.96) we will start
the slog to gcc 3.x and a full 64 bit port.

Except for the 32 bit gcc which we have had to migrated
-- our code currently includes numerous anachronisms no
longer accepted by the 3.x compilers -- we have been able
to coax the native system tools (bison, ar, ld, etc) into
compliance with our 32 bit build procedure.

Debugging is a different story.  The install gdb image
describes itself as:

  6.1post-1.20040607.46rh
  x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu

It does not decline to debug our 32 bit images yet it
produces total garbage.  Is there a flag or environment
variable that I may have overlooked?  Or is a single gdb
image not intended to fulfill both roles?

/john
--
John S. Yates, Jr.   508 665-6897 (voice)
Netezza Inc          508 665-6811 (fax)

* Re: Can one debug 32-bit x86 images with an x86_64 gdb?
@ 2005-01-04 21:03 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2005-01-04 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Yates; +Cc: gdb (E-mail)

Since this was vendor specific I replied on the
fedora-tools-list@redhat.com.

Short summary: the vendor (Red Hat) gcc -m32 is tested and works well
with the vendor debugger; when it comes to a custom compiler many things
could go wrong.

Andrew

* Re: Can one debug 32-bit x86 images with an x86_64 gdb?
@ 2005-01-04 21:18   ` Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2005-01-04 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: jyates, cagney

   Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:02:15 -0500
   From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org>

   Since this was vendor specific I replied on the
   fedora-tools-list@redhat.com.

   Short summary: the vendor (Red Hat) gcc -m32 is tested and works well
   with the vendor debugger; when it comes to a custom compiler many things
   could go wrong.

Ah, but I'd like to add that this should work for the official GNU
toolchain too.  So if this doesn't work for the latest official
releases or snapshot of GCC or GDB, please submit a detailed bug
report with a self-contained testcase.

Mark