public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Jim Ingham <jingham@apple.com>
To: gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: fix break, not add future-break
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:20:00 -0000	[thread overview]

We talked about this a bit here.  Jason was worried that users might
find getting an extra prompt when they just mistyped annoying.  It is
certainly a pretty big change in UI, and will be jarring to old hands
for a while.  On the other hand, I kind of like this better than having
to remember to type another command to get shared-library breakpoints
to take.

Working with programmatic interfaces is different, however.  We added a
-f flag to -break-insert to turn on the "future" behavior.  I think
calling it out explicitly like this is better for a programmatic
interface, since for a driving program it is better to be able to ask
for exactly what you want, than asking for something more general and
then having to deal modally with the possible responses to a more
general request...

Jim

--
Jim Ingham                                   jingham@apple.com