public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Promblem compiling GDB 6.3 on solaris 2.6--don't know how to make target doc/observer.texi
@ 2005-01-14  8:47 Xing Li Jun, SLC COM TD-SCDMA (BJ)
From: Xing Li Jun, SLC COM TD-SCDMA (BJ) @ 2005-01-14  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,

I am new to this mailing list and may be impolite in some manner, please correct me frankly:)

I am building gdb 6.3 on solaris, I have installed gmp, mpfr, texinfo for it. The configure process is ok, no errors in config.log,
bug when I do make, it will give out the following error:

make: fatal error: don't know how to make target 'doc/observer.texi'
make: fatal error: command failed for target 'all-gdb'
then quit.

Thank you for your help!

Xing Li Jun

Young people nowadays assume that money is everything, and when they get older they know it. --- Oscar Wilde

* RE: Promblem compiling GDB 6.3 on solaris 2.6--don't know how to make target doc/observer.texi
@ 2005-01-14 15:37 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-01-14 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I am building gdb 6.3 on solaris, I have installed gmp, mpfr,
> texinfo for it. The configure process is ok, no errors in config.log,
> bug when I do make, it will give out the following error:
>
> make: fatal error: don't know how to make target 'doc/observer.texi'
> make: fatal error: command failed for target 'all-gdb'
> then quit.

  That file should already have been in the source code; where did you get your
sources from?  CVS, a snapshot, or the released 6.3 tarball?  What do you get
when you look in the <sourcedir>/gdb/doc?  Is it there?  Does it have the wrong
permissions?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: Promblem compiling GDB 6.3 on solaris 2.6--don't know how to  make target doc/observer.texi
@ 2005-01-19  1:15 Xing Li Jun, SLC COM TD-SCDMA (BJ)
From: Xing Li Jun, SLC COM TD-SCDMA (BJ) @ 2005-01-19  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn, gdb

yes, I compiled gdb and gcc on Sun at the same time, and I got the same problem for gcc 3.4.3.
If the configure is run with a relative path, the the path to install-sh will be wrong, an error 'install-sh: not found' will rise. When I got this error  for gdb, I just re-run the configure-make prcess with an absolute path to the configure script, and succeed.
But for gcc, the make process take so  long that I can not afford the time re-compile it, so I mkdir a gcc-3.4.3, with only install-sh into it, then I copy this directory everywhere to let the make can find it:)

cheers,
Xing Li Jun

@ 2005-01-18 12:21 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-01-18 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)