public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB and threads...
@ 2001-04-26 17:39 Jiva DeVoe
From: Jiva DeVoe @ 2001-04-26 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Does anyone have any tips on debugging multithreaded apps using gdb?
I have been trying for a couple of months now, and IMO gdb is REALLY
not very effective at it (at least in my experience.)  I've used
windows debuggers to do this, and when I would have a fault in a
subthread, the debugger would actually break *in* that thread.  With
gdb, it breaks, but it still breaks in the main thread.  I can't even
get the thread info commands to work.

HELP!

FYI, I am using version 5.0 of gdb on Mandrake 7.2 with kernel 2.2.x

Alternatively, when is gdb going to have better thread support?

--
Jiva DeVoe
VP Of Software Development

* gdb and threads
@ 2012-04-12  9:44 Folkert van Heusden
From: Folkert van Heusden @ 2012-04-12  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,

I'm trying to debug a mulithreaded application running on a multicore cpu.
It is a C++ application which uses the new std::thread (which uses
pthreads underneath).
Now when my program gets a SIGSEGV, I can use 'bt' in gdb to get a backtrace.
Can I be sure that the backtrace I get is the one from the thread
causing the SIGSEGV?

Thanks,

Folkert.
www.vanheusden.com