public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: setting up sim project web space
       [not found]                 ` <20230105223840.GI8237@gnu.wildebeest.org>
@ 2023-01-05 22:43                   ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2023-01-05 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Overseers
  Cc: Mike Frysinger, Frank Ch. Eigler, Joel Brobecker, Pedro Alves, gdb

[Apologies, I meant to include the gdb mailinglist in CC,
 but I cannot type... Now hopefully included correctly.]

Hi Mike, Hi gdb hackers,

On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 03:18:16AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 30 Dec 2022 17:44, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > On Mon, 2022-10-24 at 19:47 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> > > [...]  it's been over a year since i requested hosting for the GNU
> > >
> > > Sorry, can you remind us what new service you would like?  The sim/
> > > sources are still being developed/shipped with gdb, right?
>
> sorry, i'm not subscribed to the overseers group, so i don't see replies
> only sent to it.

Sorry about that. I have added the gdb mailinglist to the CC to make
sure the gdb maintainers can help us setting things up.

> the sim code is developed in the binutils/gdb monorepo.  it doesn't need
> gdb to build ... it works fine all by itself.  i'm not cutting releases
> for it today, so most people would get it via gdb releases, or by using
> git directly.
>
> > - Part of the online docs are generated by a script
> >   /home/gdbadmin/ss/update-web-docs
> >   https://www.sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/
> >   It isn't clear if this can simply be adapted to also generate the
> >   sim documentation. I don't see a
> >   doc subdir under sim though, so I am not sure how the sim
> >   documentation is generated.
>
> i haven't finished/pushed the manual yet.  i work on it in bursts, and
> unfortunately as i write it i find bugs in the sim & underlying projects,
> so i work on fixing those so i don't have to document the bugs.
>
> but for the purposes of this discussion, it's a standard texinfo manual
> like every other project in the binutils/gdb git tree.  although that
> would be just the documentation, not the general project website.
>
> > - The other website files are still in CVS. It would be nice if they
> >   could be moved into git. (If we do we have to adjust the above script
> >   and cronjobs slightly).
> >
> > - The gdb-htdocs repo can only be updated by people in the gdb group
> >   (which is a subset of the src group which allows pushing to the
> >    binutils-gdb repo). Mike isn't a member of the gdb group, so cannot
> >   push to the gdb-htdocs to create a sim subdir there. And it seems the
> >   current setup, how and who is in the gdb group and can update the
> >   website pages, isn't fully documented.
>
> i guess it boils down to either someone adds me to the gdb group so i
> can create a sim/ subspace, or someone sets up a new space that i can
> push to.  totally fine to leave it open for other gdb/etc... folks to
> push to too (not sure what the acl groups look like).

So questions for the gdb maintainers:

- Are you OK with adding mike to the gdb group so he can update the
  gdb website and add a sim/ directory to add sim specific
  documentation?

- Do you want to keep the website in CVS or should we convert it to
  git?

- Or do you rather have a completely new and separate sim project
  setup?

> in either case, i'd like to have https://sourceware.org/sim/ go to the
> right place wherever that is.

Will do.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: setting up sim project web space
@ 2023-01-06  6:22                     ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2023-01-06  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard
  Cc: Overseers, Mike Frysinger, Frank Ch. Eigler, Joel Brobecker,
	Pedro Alves, gdb

> So questions for the gdb maintainers:
>
> - Are you OK with adding mike to the gdb group so he can update the
>   gdb website and add a sim/ directory to add sim specific
>   documentation?
>
> - Do you want to keep the website in CVS or should we convert it to
>   git?
>
> - Or do you rather have a completely new and separate sim project
>   setup?
>
> > in either case, i'd like to have https://sourceware.org/sim/ go to the
> > right place wherever that is.

My 2 cents:

- I currently have a cvsgit clone, which doesn't work well to keep
  it in sync with other people's changes, so it would be best if
  the htdocs CVS repo was converted to git first.

- Once it is in Git, I don't have a problem with Mike being given
  access to it;

- Whether it should be the same repo for both, or a different repo,
  I'm not sure. If the URL is https://sourceware.org/sim/, maybe
  it's best to keep it out. Otherwise, we'll have a sub-dir of
  the GDB website be a visible duplicate of the sim website.

--
Joel

* Re: setting up sim project web space
@ 2023-01-10 18:27                       ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2023-01-10 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb
  Cc: Mark Wielaard, Joel Brobecker, Mike Frysinger, Frank Ch. Eigler,
	Overseers mailing list, Pedro Alves

Hi -

> - I currently have a cvsgit clone, which doesn't work well to keep
>   it in sync with other people's changes, so it would be best if
>   the htdocs CVS repo was converted to git first.
> - Once it is in Git, I don't have a problem with Mike being given
>   access to it;

Can we have an official thumbs up from the gdb leadership to make this
transition?  We should be able to do it fairly quickly, but it is a
"flag day" sort of thing, requiring deprecation of the cvs copy.

- FChE

* Re: setting up sim project web space
@ 2023-01-10 20:18                         ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2023-01-10 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler
  Cc: gdb, Joel Brobecker, Mike Frysinger, Frank Ch. Eigler,
	Overseers mailing list, Pedro Alves

Hi Frank,

On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 01:27:35PM -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler via Gdb wrote:
> > - I currently have a cvsgit clone, which doesn't work well to keep
> >   it in sync with other people's changes, so it would be best if
> >   the htdocs CVS repo was converted to git first.
> > - Once it is in Git, I don't have a problem with Mike being given
> >   access to it;
>
> Can we have an official thumbs up from the gdb leadership to make this
> transition?  We should be able to do it fairly quickly, but it is a
> "flag day" sort of thing, requiring deprecation of the cvs copy.

Sorry, Joel an I took the conversion off-list. And I already did the
conversion: https://sourceware.org/git/gdb-htdocs.git

People in the gdb group can already push to it, but I haven't hooked
up the post-update to the actual htdocs dir.

It is a "flag day", but in practice only Joel (as gdbadmin) updates
the pages and only to update NEWS with new branches or releases.

(The onlinedocs are updates through a cronjob, but bypass the
repository and just add the docs directly in their respective
onlindocs dirs.)

So if Joel says to flip the switch we can. We just have to make sure
not to clash with the GDB 13 release.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: setting up sim project web space
@ 2023-01-11  5:36                           ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2023-01-11  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard
  Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, gdb, Joel Brobecker, Mike Frysinger,
	Frank Ch. Eigler, Overseers mailing list, Pedro Alves

> > Can we have an official thumbs up from the gdb leadership to make this
> > transition?  We should be able to do it fairly quickly, but it is a
> > "flag day" sort of thing, requiring deprecation of the cvs copy.
>
> Sorry, Joel an I took the conversion off-list. And I already did the
> conversion: https://sourceware.org/git/gdb-htdocs.git

Thank you!

> People in the gdb group can already push to it, but I haven't hooked
> up the post-update to the actual htdocs dir.
>
> It is a "flag day", but in practice only Joel (as gdbadmin) updates
> the pages and only to update NEWS with new branches or releases.
>
> (The onlinedocs are updates through a cronjob, but bypass the
> repository and just add the docs directly in their respective
> onlindocs dirs.)
>
> So if Joel says to flip the switch we can. We just have to make sure
> not to clash with the GDB 13 release.

On my end, I'm happy to switch as soon as you'd like.
If you're ready to connect the hooks to perform an automatic
update of the live version of the web server each time we do
a push, I think we're ready!

We can do a quick announcement on gdb-patches@, to let people
know, but other than that, it's a pretty limited audience for
this repository. Perhaps it'll encourage people to participate
in improving it.

--
Joel

* Re: setting up sim project web space
@ 2023-01-11 23:56                             ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2023-01-11 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker
  Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, gdb, Mike Frysinger, Frank Ch. Eigler,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 09:36:46AM +0400, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > So if Joel says to flip the switch we can. We just have to make sure
> > not to clash with the GDB 13 release.
>
> On my end, I'm happy to switch as soon as you'd like.
> If you're ready to connect the hooks to perform an automatic
> update of the live version of the web server each time we do
> a push, I think we're ready!

OK https://sourceware.org/gdb is maintained in git now!

To test it out I even updated the how to update the website
instructions on https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/

Note that I forgot to change one "CVS" to "git", it still says
"Read-write CVS (GDB developers only):" instead of "Read-write git
(GDB developers only):". You could fix that up just to make sure it
works.

I also added Mike to the gdb group so he can finally create a sim
dir/web space under https://sourceware.org/gdb/sim/ (we can redirect
https://sourceware.org/sim/ there if you want).

Cheers,

Mark

* broken current onlinedocs
@ 2023-01-12  5:12                               ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2023-01-12  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard
  Cc: Joel Brobecker, Frank Ch. Eigler, gdb, Frank Ch. Eigler,
	Overseers mailing list, Pedro Alves, Simon Marchi

On 12 Jan 2023 00:56, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 09:36:46AM +0400, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > > So if Joel says to flip the switch we can. We just have to make sure
> > > not to clash with the GDB 13 release.
> >
> > On my end, I'm happy to switch as soon as you'd like.
> > If you're ready to connect the hooks to perform an automatic
> > update of the live version of the web server each time we do
> > a push, I think we're ready!
>
> OK https://sourceware.org/gdb is maintained in git now!
>
> To test it out I even updated the how to update the website
> instructions on https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/

hmm, i can't tell if this is a new thing, but the gdb doc links are broken.
i'm guessing it's new as this link has been the same since 2009 ?

https://sourceware.org/gdb/documentation/
  -> Online GDB manuals: GDB User Manual
     https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/
     -> 404

but https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/ seems to be correct.

is the link wrong and we should fix it, or does something need adjusting on
the server side after the migration from CVS to git ?

or is this a side-effect of the recent texinfo output change ?
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=7bd836d5d90353a2de192fd4711a20b4520246b7
-mike

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: broken current onlinedocs
@ 2023-01-12  7:30                                 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2023-01-12  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger via Overseers
  Cc: Mike Frysinger, Joel Brobecker, Frank Ch. Eigler, gdb,
	Frank Ch. Eigler, Pedro Alves, Simon Marchi

Hi Mike,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 12:12:42AM -0500, Mike Frysinger via Overseers wrote:
> On 12 Jan 2023 00:56, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > OK https://sourceware.org/gdb is maintained in git now!
> >
> > To test it out I even updated the how to update the website
> > instructions on https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/
>
> hmm, i can't tell if this is a new thing, but the gdb doc links are broken.
> i'm guessing it's new as this link has been the same since 2009 ?
>
> https://sourceware.org/gdb/documentation/
>   -> Online GDB manuals: GDB User Manual
>      https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/
>      -> 404
>
> but https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/ seems to be correct.
>
> is the link wrong and we should fix it, or does something need adjusting on
> the server side after the migration from CVS to git ?
>
> or is this a side-effect of the recent texinfo output change ?
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=7bd836d5d90353a2de192fd4711a20b4520246b7

I think this is a coincidence and not related to the git
conversion. But either the above change or some change in the script
that generates the onlinedocs.

Before (Jan 11) https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs
contained both a gdb/ directory with separate .html files per node and
a gdb.html file with everything on one page.

After (Jan 12) https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs has a
directory gdb.html/ with one file per node and the file with
everything on one page is now called gdb

This is only for the current onlinedocs the (most recent branch)
https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/ and (last release)
https://sourceware.org/gdb/download/onlinedocs/ still have a directory
called gdb and a file called gdb.html

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: setting up sim project web space
@ 2023-01-15 22:00                             ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2023-01-15 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker
  Cc: Mark Wielaard, Frank Ch. Eigler, gdb, Frank Ch. Eigler,

On 11 Jan 2023 09:36, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> We can do a quick announcement on gdb-patches@, to let people
> know, but other than that, it's a pretty limited audience for
> this repository. Perhaps it'll encourage people to participate
> in improving it.

on that note, what is the policy for merging changes ?  akin to other
projects where there's maintainers & write-after-approval ?  i can
write up a quick MAINTAINERS doc for the repo.
-mike

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: setting up sim project web space
@ 2023-01-16  3:17                               ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2023-01-16  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger
  Cc: Joel Brobecker, Mark Wielaard, Frank Ch. Eigler, gdb,
	Frank Ch. Eigler, Overseers mailing list, Pedro Alves

> > We can do a quick announcement on gdb-patches@, to let people
> > know, but other than that, it's a pretty limited audience for
> > this repository. Perhaps it'll encourage people to participate
> > in improving it.
>
> on that note, what is the policy for merging changes ?  akin to other
> projects where there's maintainers & write-after-approval ?  i can
> write up a quick MAINTAINERS doc for the repo.

I don't think there is a process. For my changes, the vast majority
have been about the release, which are routine changes, so I've just
pushed them and that's it.

For changes that can affect the contents more, we go through
gdb-patches, or at the very least I let people know by sending
the patch to gdb-patches.

That's about it so far.

--
Joel

* Re: broken current onlinedocs
@ 2023-01-16  3:42                                 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2023-01-16  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger
  Cc: Mark Wielaard, Joel Brobecker, Frank Ch. Eigler, gdb,
	Frank Ch. Eigler, Overseers mailing list, Pedro Alves,
	Simon Marchi

> hmm, i can't tell if this is a new thing, but the gdb doc links are broken.
> i'm guessing it's new as this link has been the same since 2009 ?
>
> https://sourceware.org/gdb/documentation/
>   -> Online GDB manuals: GDB User Manual
>      https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/
>      -> 404
>
> but https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/ seems to be correct.

I took a look, and this should be fixed, now.

--
Joel

* Re: setting up sim project web space
@ 2021-11-18  0:19   ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2021-11-18  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: gdb

On 17 Nov 2021 19:46, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 12:27:41PM -0500, Mike Frysinger via Gdb wrote:
> > i'd like to start a sim landing page for the sim project at
> > https://sourceware.org/sim/
> >
> > i'm not sure how to actually do this.  i tried e-mailing overseers but
> > didn't get a response.  anyone know where to start ?
>
> I can setup a sim-htdocs git repo for you, if you want, but I need to
> know which project/group is responsible for that.  Mailing overseers
> is the right way.  There was actually a reply to your request which
> you might have misssed:
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/overseers/2021q3/017708.html
>
> Could you reply to that?  I think people are just wondering how/why the
> webpages need to be separate from the other gdb webpages on sourceware.

i'm guessing Frank didn't reply-all, he just posted to the list.  i thought
overseers was an alias, not a list anyone could subscribe to, so i missed
the response.  i'll follow up there once i figure out how to download the
raw e-mail :).  thanks.

the existence of the group is a bit hard to find -- it doesn't really show
up in searches.
https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?submit=Search%3A&q=overseers
-mike

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]