public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB Stub with ARM BE8 target.
@ 2022-05-30 23:03 Jon Wilson
From: Jon Wilson @ 2022-05-30 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I am trying to integrate a GDB stub with a ARM BE8 target. However, it
would appear that using "set endian big" defaults to BE32 architecture.
I cannot seem to find a way to have the debugger interpret memory
according to the BE8 architecture. The only support for BE8 mode I can
see seems to be for when using BE8 core dumps or processes
(https://github.com/bminor/binutils-gdb/blob/9606310bbbf8a2d529b5c2aa71cac48a46f65869/gdb/arm-tdep.c#L9781).
I can't seem to find any documentation on the topic (which is pretty
forgivable given how niche it is).

I looked at handling the endianness in the stub itself (e.g. inverting
the endianness of memory based on permissions), but given the code
stream can contain both instructions (which should be little endian in
BE8) as well as data (which should be interpretted as big endian), this
is not possible.

Have I missed an option somewhere? If this support is missing, then how
should it be added? Should it be handled in a similar way to how GDB
handles ARM versus Thumb mode?
(https://github.com/bminor/binutils-gdb/blob/9606310bbbf8a2d529b5c2aa71cac48a46f65869/gdb/arm-tdep.c#L10589)?

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Kind Regards.