public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Use Binary Format with Pretty Printers
@ 2016-06-07 18:52 Alexander Zahdeh
From: Alexander Zahdeh @ 2016-06-07 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Bob Moench, Mark Pagel

Hi,

I am trying to use gdb pretty printers to print values to a binary
format (Google's protocol buffers) to be accessed over the MI interface.
Is this possible given the way pretty printers are set up? It seems as
though gdb uses python to print the value which tries to force an output
encoding (such as utf8), which the binary format I am describing does
not conform to. Is there a way to pass the bytes straight through
without forcing an encoding on them? The reason we use the pretty
printer interface is so that we do not have to maintain downstream
patches of gdb for our specific use case.

Thanks much,
Alex
--
Alex Zahdeh | PE Debugger Development | Cray Inc.
azahdeh@cray.com | Office: 651-967-9628 | Cell: 651-300-2005

only message in thread, other threads:[~2016-06-07 18:52 UTC | newest]