public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB BoF Agenda for GNU Cauldron 2022?
@ 2022-09-12 15:43 Pedro Alves
From: Pedro Alves @ 2022-09-12 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi!

Once again, we'll have a gdb BoF session in the Cauldron this year:

  https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/cauldron2022#cauldron2022talks.the_gdb_bof

As in previous years, the intention is to discuss whatever gdb-related topics people feel like
needs discussing, hence no agenda listed in the schedule (I didn't have a list of topics in mind
when I proposed the slot).  As before, I intend to collect topics of interest at the start of the
session, and then try to cover them all.  That seems to have worked OK in the past.

However, if anyone has topics they already know they'd like to see brought up, please feel
free to let me know in advance.

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Pedro Alves

* Re: GDB BoF Agenda for GNU Cauldron 2022?
@ 2022-09-12 16:24 ` Luis Machado
From: Luis Machado @ 2022-09-12 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Alves, gdb

Hi,

On 9/12/22 16:43, Pedro Alves wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Once again, we'll have a gdb BoF session in the Cauldron this year:
>
>    https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/cauldron2022#cauldron2022talks.the_gdb_bof
>
> As in previous years, the intention is to discuss whatever gdb-related topics people feel like
> needs discussing, hence no agenda listed in the schedule (I didn't have a list of topics in mind
> when I proposed the slot).  As before, I intend to collect topics of interest at the start of the
> session, and then try to cover them all.  That seems to have worked OK in the past.
>
> However, if anyone has topics they already know they'd like to see brought up, please feel
> free to let me know in advance.
>
> Hope to see you there!
>
> Cheers,
> Pedro Alves

One topic GDB developers might be interested in (but feel free to skip it otherwise), is patch reviewing.

- Timing

Everyone's busy schedules aside, is there a way to improve the time it takes for patches to get reviewed? Do we need to seek
(to appoint) more maintainers?

- Tracking

Is there a better patch-tracking system so contributions don't get forgotten (better than pinging patches once a week).

It would be nice to have a clear list of contributions waiting to be reviewed, as opposed to having to go through mailing
list entries.

- Pre-commit testing

Some sort of infrastructure that just build-tests the patch/series to hopefully speed-up reviewing. Possibly using our current
sourceware buildbot infrastructure?

Regards,
Luis

* Re: GDB BoF Agenda for GNU Cauldron 2022?
@ 2022-09-13 10:48   ` Luis Machado
From: Luis Machado @ 2022-09-13 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Alves, gdb

On 9/12/22 17:24, Luis Machado wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/12/22 16:43, Pedro Alves wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Once again, we'll have a gdb BoF session in the Cauldron this year:
>>
>>    https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/cauldron2022#cauldron2022talks.the_gdb_bof
>>
>> As in previous years, the intention is to discuss whatever gdb-related topics people feel like
>> needs discussing, hence no agenda listed in the schedule (I didn't have a list of topics in mind
>> when I proposed the slot).  As before, I intend to collect topics of interest at the start of the
>> session, and then try to cover them all.  That seems to have worked OK in the past.
>>
>> However, if anyone has topics they already know they'd like to see brought up, please feel
>> free to let me know in advance.
>>
>> Hope to see you there!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pedro Alves
>
> One topic GDB developers might be interested in (but feel free to skip it otherwise), is patch reviewing.
>
> - Timing
>
> Everyone's busy schedules aside, is there a way to improve the time it takes for patches to get reviewed? Do we need to seek
> (to appoint) more maintainers?
>
> - Tracking
>
> Is there a better patch-tracking system so contributions don't get forgotten (better than pinging patches once a week).
>
> It would be nice to have a clear list of contributions waiting to be reviewed, as opposed to having to go through mailing
> list entries.
>
> - Pre-commit testing
>
> Some sort of infrastructure that just build-tests the patch/series to hopefully speed-up reviewing. Possibly using our current
> sourceware buildbot infrastructure?
>
> Regards,
> Luis

Sorry, remembered another one:

- Discuss adopting an auto-formatting tool for source code in the future (clang-format?), so developers/reviewers
don't need to spend time spotting such things. The experience with python black has been nice.

* Re: GDB BoF Agenda for GNU Cauldron 2022?
@ 2022-09-13 11:02     ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2022-09-13 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb