public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* building GDB 9.0.50.20191206
@ 2019-12-12 10:47 Wadud Miah
From: Wadud Miah @ 2019-12-12 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi everyone,

I am trying to build GDB 9.0.50.20191206 from source and am getting the following error:

configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make distclean" there first
configure: error: .././../../gnulib/configure failed for build-gnulib-gdbserver
configure: error: ./configure failed for gdbserver
make[1]: *** [Makefile:9534: configure-gdb] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/gdb-9.0.50.20191206'
make: *** [Makefile:852: all] Error 2

I don't need the server component of GDB as I will be debugging locally, but could not find any option in the configure script to disable the building of the server component. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Wadud.

-----------------------------------
Dr. Wadud Miah
Numerical Algorithms Group

Disclaimer

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business.

* Re: building GDB 9.0.50.20191206
@ 2019-12-12 14:10 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2019-12-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wadud Miah; +Cc: gdb

Hello,

> I am trying to build GDB 9.0.50.20191206 from source and am getting the following error:
>
> configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make distclean" there first
> configure: error: .././../../gnulib/configure failed for build-gnulib-gdbserver
> configure: error: ./configure failed for gdbserver
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:9534: configure-gdb] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/gdb-9.0.50.20191206'
> make: *** [Makefile:852: all] Error 2
>
> I don't need the server component of GDB as I will be debugging locally, but could not find any option in the configure script to disable the building of the server component. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Let me point you to the message I sent following the announcement of
the availability of the first pre-release:
https://www.sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2019-12/msg00451.html

I apologize for the message about the branch being created not
but that's because these are automated, and I didn't know about
that issue at the time the branch was created.

--
Joel

* RE: building GDB 9.0.50.20191206
@ 2019-12-12 14:22   ` Wadud Miah
From: Wadud Miah @ 2019-12-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: gdb

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the information. I was able to build it without the server by using the keep going make flag:

make --keep-going

I need GDB version 9.0.50 for its ability to pipe GDB commands to Linux commands. At least I now know that I am not doing anything wrong :-)

Cheers,
Wadud.

@ 2019-12-13 19:53   ` Simon Marchi
From: Simon Marchi @ 2019-12-13 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker, Wadud Miah; +Cc: gdb, Tom Tromey

On 2019-12-12 9:09 a.m., Joel Brobecker wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> I am trying to build GDB 9.0.50.20191206 from source and am getting the following error:
>>
>> configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make distclean" there first
>> configure: error: .././../../gnulib/configure failed for build-gnulib-gdbserver
>> configure: error: ./configure failed for gdbserver
>> make[1]: *** [Makefile:9534: configure-gdb] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/gdb-9.0.50.20191206'
>> make: *** [Makefile:852: all] Error 2
>>
>> I don't need the server component of GDB as I will be debugging locally, but could not find any option in the configure script to disable the building of the server component. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Let me point you to the message I sent following the announcement of
> the availability of the first pre-release:
> https://www.sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2019-12/msg00451.html
>
> I apologize for the message about the branch being created not
> but that's because these are automated, and I didn't know about
> that issue at the time the branch was created.
>
> --
> Joel

Adding Tom in CC.

Tom, could you describe what is missing to complete this move?

I am afraid that if we release like this, we'll get this question a ton of time, it wouldn't
be a good user experience at all.  So it would be good to either:

(1) complete the move before the release
(2) make it official that building in the source directory is not supported from now on (this
    idea was brought up a few times in the past), make configure fail when trying to do so
    with a clear error message

Please tell me if there's anything I can do to help with this effort.

Simon

* Re: building GDB 9.0.50.20191206
@ 2019-12-13 20:01     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2019-12-13 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Marchi; +Cc: Joel Brobecker, Wadud Miah, gdb, Tom Tromey

Simon> Tom, could you describe what is missing to complete this move?

Completing the move of gdbsupport and then gdbserver to top-level.

Simon> (1) complete the move before the release
Simon> (2) make it official that building in the source directory is not supported from now on (this
Simon>     idea was brought up a few times in the past), make configure fail when trying to do so
Simon>     with a clear error message

We could alternatively back out the gnulib move on the release branch only.

Tom

* Re: building GDB 9.0.50.20191206
@ 2019-12-13 20:21       ` Simon Marchi
From: Simon Marchi @ 2019-12-13 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Joel Brobecker, Wadud Miah, gdb

On 2019-12-13 3:01 p.m., Tom Tromey wrote:
> Simon> Tom, could you describe what is missing to complete this move?
>
> Completing the move of gdbsupport and then gdbserver to top-level.

Yes, I understand that doing the move is necessary to complete the move :) ?  But are
there some known technical difficulties in doing it?

Simon

* Re: building GDB 9.0.50.20191206
@ 2019-12-13 23:25         ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2019-12-13 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Marchi; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Joel Brobecker, Wadud Miah, gdb

Simon> On 2019-12-13 3:01 p.m., Tom Tromey wrote:
Simon> Tom, could you describe what is missing to complete this move?

>> Completing the move of gdbsupport and then gdbserver to top-level.

Simon> Yes, I understand that doing the move is necessary to complete the move :) ?  But are
Simon> there some known technical difficulties in doing it?

I'm sorry about the terse reply earlier.

The patch to move gdbsupport is here:

    https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2019-07/msg00337.html

Review here:

    https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2019-08/msg00433.html

Maybe some comments there still need to be addressed.  I can't recall
offhand.

Then comes the patch to move gdbserver.  This is pretty much mechanical,
I think.

Finally comes a patch to make gdbserver use the top-level gnulib and
gdbsupport.  This is mildly tricky due to type mismatches.

I've written all of these but they definitely need rebasing (which is
often nearly equivalent to rewriting them) and probably other tweaks as
well.

I wouldn't recommend this for gdb 9, but it does seem like a good idea
to start on these now, so that we have time to iron out the bugs.

Tom

* Re: building GDB 9.0.50.20191206
@ 2019-12-14 17:29 ` Christian Biesinger via gdb
From: Christian Biesinger via gdb @ 2019-12-14 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wadud Miah; +Cc: gdb

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 5:47 AM Wadud Miah <wadud.miah@nag.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to build GDB 9.0.50.20191206 from source and am getting the following error:
>
> configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make distclean" there first
> configure: error: .././../../gnulib/configure failed for build-gnulib-gdbserver
> configure: error: ./configure failed for gdbserver
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:9534: configure-gdb] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/gdb-9.0.50.20191206'
> make: *** [Makefile:852: all] Error 2
>
> I don't need the server component of GDB as I will be debugging locally, but could not find any option in the configure script to disable the building of the server component. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

For reference, the option to disable gdbserver is --disable-gdbserver
(see gdb/configure --help)

Christian

* Re: building GDB 9.0.50.20191206
@ 2019-12-15 16:17           ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2019-12-15 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Simon Marchi, Joel Brobecker, Wadud Miah, gdb

Tom> Review here:
Tom>     https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2019-08/msg00433.html
Tom> Maybe some comments there still need to be addressed.  I can't recall
Tom> offhand.

I've updated my patch and re-read the thread.

The remaining issue is that I still haven't decided what to do about
<config.h> in files like nat/linux-btrace.c.  The message referred to
above outlines the various approaches and their problems pretty well.

Tom

* Re: building GDB 9.0.50.20191206
@ 2019-12-17  6:01             ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2019-12-17  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Simon Marchi, Wadud Miah, gdb

> Tom> Review here:
> Tom>     https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2019-08/msg00433.html
> Tom> Maybe some comments there still need to be addressed.  I can't recall
> Tom> offhand.
>
> I've updated my patch and re-read the thread.
>
> The remaining issue is that I still haven't decided what to do about
> <config.h> in files like nat/linux-btrace.c.  The message referred to
> above outlines the various approaches and their problems pretty well.

Thanks Tom.

Going back to Simon's question about what to do for the release,
I tend to agree with you that it's an unnecessary risk to be trying
to finish the transition of moving the directories to the root
directory. Could we add a test that checks explicitly for in-tree
builds and abort with a clear error message when detected?
Is there an in-tree/out-of-tree check that already exists for that?
Otherwise, I'd base it on the src_dir being different from the
build dir, but that's simple-minded and pretty easy to defeat
(not that it's a huge issue).

--
Joel

* Re: building GDB 9.0.50.20191206
@ 2019-12-18 20:23               ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2019-12-18 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Tom Tromey, Simon Marchi, Wadud Miah, gdb

Joel> Going back to Simon's question about what to do for the release,
Joel> I tend to agree with you that it's an unnecessary risk to be trying
Joel> to finish the transition of moving the directories to the root
Joel> directory. Could we add a test that checks explicitly for in-tree
Joel> builds and abort with a clear error message when detected?

Sure.  I don't know when I can get to it though.

Joel> Is there an in-tree/out-of-tree check that already exists for that?
Joel> Otherwise, I'd base it on the src_dir being different from the
Joel> build dir, but that's simple-minded and pretty easy to defeat
Joel> (not that it's a huge issue).

We could just check for any old source file in ".", like ChangeLog.

Or we could revert the gnulib move on the branch.  That might not be too
hard.

Tom