public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Sourceware joins Software Freedom Conservancy
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 21:00:00 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Eli,

On Mon, 2023-05-15 at 21:44 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 20:18:12 +0200
> > From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
> >
> > https://sfconservancy.org/news/2023/may/15/sourceware-joins-sfc/
> >
> > After various discussions and lots of positive feedback [1] [2] [3]
> > [4]
> > Software Freedom Conservancy and Sourceware proudly announce that
> > Sourceware today joins SFC as a member project!
>
> Any chance you (or someone else "in the know") could explain what
> does this mean in practical terms?

In practical terms it just means that Sourceware is a bit more
organized/formalized.

>   E.g., do any of the addresses and URLs
> we've been using for working on GDB will change in any way?

They will not.

>   What about access to the GDB Git repository?

That will be the same as before.
We will just have more (redundant) backups, like those on sourcehut:
https://sr.ht/~sourceware/binutils-gdb/sources

>   What about development procedures and practices?  Etc. etc.

This is only about the actual infrastructure services. You as gdb
community of course still decide how to use those and what policies
your projects uses.

> It is a bit strange that such an announcement talks at length about
> everything except what the GDB developers and contributors need to
> know.

Sorry, we were just excited about all the future potential.
Hopefully the opportunity to protect the confidence in the long term
future of Sourceware is also of interest to the gdb community.

See also the newly announced Sourceware Overseers Open Office hours:
https://inbox.sourceware.org/overseers/20230515183216.GA11203@gnu.wildebeest.org/T/#u

Cheers,

Mark