public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Carl Love <cel@us.ibm.com>
To: Andrew Burgess <andrew.burgess@embecosm.com>
Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: RE: Question:  gdb.tui/tui-layout-asm.exp
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 15:22:30 -0700	[thread overview]

Andrew, gdb developers:

>....  I think
> that for some reason this check is failing:
>
>     if {[Term::wait_for $re_line] \
> 	    && [regexp $re_line [Term::get_line 1]]} {
>
> If this was not failing, and you kept scrolling far enough, then a
> blank like would appear.

Yes, that test does appear to be failing.  I have added some debug
statements to the gdb.tui/tui-layout-asm.exp test as follows:

    set line1 [Term::get_line 1]
    puts " "
    puts "Carll line1       $line1"
    puts "Carll re_line     $re_line"

    if {([Term::wait_for $re_line] \
             && [regexp $re_line [Term::get_line 1]])} {
        puts "Carll true"
        # We scrolled successfully.
    } else {
        puts "Carll false"
        fail "$testname (scroll failed)"
        Term::dump_screen
        break
    }

The interesting output is:

Carll line1       |    0x100007a4 <__glink_PLTresolve+44>      ld      r11,8(r11)                |
Carll re_line     \|\s+0x100007a8\s+<__glink_PLTresolve\+48>\s+bctr\s+\|
CARLL, timeout, return 1
Carll true

Carll line1       |    0x100007a8 <__glink_PLTresolve+48>      bctr                              |
Carll re_line     \|\s+0x100007ac\s+<__libc_start_main@plt>\s+b\s+0x10000778\s+<__glink_PLTres\|         <--should match
CARLL, timeout, return 1
Carll true

Carll line1       |    0x100007ac <__libc_start_main@plt>      b       0x10000778 <__glink_PLTres|       <-- this line but the test fails
Carll re_line     \|\s+0x100007b0\s+<__gmon_start__@plt>\s+b\s+0x10000778\s+<__glink_PLTres\|
CARLL, timeout, return 1
Carll false
FAIL: gdb.tui/tui-layout-asm.exp: scroll to end of assembler (scroll failed)

So the if statement is checking to see if line1 matches the re_line
above it.  The match statement is

   [regexp $re_line [Term::get_line 1]]

The final test fails for some reason?  Note this is the first test were
a line had an @ symbol in it.  The value of re_line which is

  set re_line [string_to_regexp $line]

looks like the generated regular expression of the line should match
the next $line1 string.  I am not aware of the @ having any special
meaning in a regular expression that would confuse the regexp command?

Maybe someone else can spot why the two lines don't seem to match?
They look OK to me.

                              Carl