public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* expect 5.39 import
@ 2003-08-21 20:52 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-08-21 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, binutils, gcc

Hello,

I'm thinking of [blindly] importing expect 5.39.  It appears to work
out-of-the-box on x86-64 GNU/Linux (I've not tested any other platforms
yet).

Comments, suggestions, additional reports of it working in the wild?

I'll follow this up in a few weeks when I'm actually in a position to do
an import.

enjoy,
Andrew

* Re: expect 5.39 import
@ 2003-08-22  7:15 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2003-08-22  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb, binutils, gcc

Hi Andrew,

> I'm thinking of [blindly] importing expect 5.39.

What benefits does the 5.39 release provide ?

Cheers
        Nick

* Re: expect 5.39 import
@ 2003-08-22 14:56   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-08-22 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: gdb, binutils, gcc

> Hi Andrew,
>

>> I'm thinking of [blindly] importing expect 5.39.
>

> What benefits does the 5.39 release provide ?

- it "just works" works on x86-64
- it puts us back in sync with the mainline

the down side is that:

- it may not work on some obscure platform

Andrew

* Re: expect 5.39 import
@ 2003-08-21 22:28 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-08-21 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Elizabeth Chastain; +Cc: binutils, gcc, gdb

> Wow, I didn't even know the new expect release.  I gotta give
> that a spin.
>
> I've been using expect 5.38 in my test bed and it's been working fine.
> Back in January 2003, I compared expect 5.38 with sourceware expect,
> and the gdb test results were the same.

Nice.

Good idea.  http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/1349

> By the time "a few weeks" comes up I'll have something to say about
> expect 5.39 too.

thanks,
Andrew

* Re: expect 5.39 import
@ 2003-08-21 21:34 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-08-21 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313, binutils, gcc, gdb

Wow, I didn't even know the new expect release.  I gotta give
that a spin.

I've been using expect 5.38 in my test bed and it's been working fine.
Back in January 2003, I compared expect 5.38 with sourceware expect,
and the gdb test results were the same.

> I'll follow this up in a few weeks when I'm actually in a position to do
> an import.

Can you file a PR and then I'll attach my attestation to it?

By the time "a few weeks" comes up I'll have something to say about
expect 5.39 too.

Michael C