public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* set verbose foo on?
@ 2011-05-03  1:52 Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2011-05-03  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi.
I've found myself from time to time wanting to be able to control
gdb's verbosity on some user-related subject, but not wanting to use
"set verbose on" because it'll just turn on a lot of other crap that
I don't want to force on the user.

"set verbose on" has a really low S/N ratio for users
who turn it on to solve one particular problem, and I think we
need to fix that.
Any resistance to having finer-grained control on "verbosity" ?
Extending "set verbose" to include "set verbose foo on" "works for me".
For compatibility "set verbose on" can still be a global flag
affecting all verbosity.

* Re: set verbose foo on?
@ 2011-05-03 13:31 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2011-05-03 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Evans; +Cc: gdb

Doug> I've found myself from time to time wanting to be able to control
Doug> gdb's verbosity on some user-related subject, but not wanting to use
Doug> "set verbose on" because it'll just turn on a lot of other crap that
Doug> I don't want to force on the user.
[...]
Doug> Any resistance to having finer-grained control on "verbosity" ?
Doug> Extending "set verbose" to include "set verbose foo on" "works for me".

This would be fine with me.

Tom