public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Documentation in texinfo format.
@ 2007-08-24 20:42 John McCabe
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John McCabe @ 2007-08-24 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Dear all,

Quite some time ago (possibly 6 years or so!) I found a file called
gdb.texinfo.tar.gz that contained all I needed to be able to run MiKTeX's
packages on it and produce a PDF version of the GDB manual.

I don't seem to be able to find anything similar for the 6.x release of
gdb.

If anyone knows where I might find such a thing could they please let me
know?

I have got the src module from cvs which seems to contain a lot of this
stuff, but when I try to run texify gdb.texinfo it comes up with an error
finding gdb-cfg.texi. I found a comment on usenet from Eli Z that you need
to do a make info in order for that to be produced, but I have no Makefile
and, with the software I have installed (things like MinGW, Msys etc) the
configure script doesn't work either.

Any advice you can give me will be gratefully appreciated.

Best Regards
John McCabe <john@assen.demon.co.uk>

* Re: Documentation in texinfo format.
@ 2007-08-24 20:46 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2007-08-24 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John McCabe; +Cc: gdb

> I have got the src module from cvs which seems to contain a lot of this
> stuff, but when I try to run texify gdb.texinfo it comes up with an error
> finding gdb-cfg.texi. I found a comment on usenet from Eli Z that you need
> to do a make info in order for that to be produced, but I have no Makefile
> and, with the software I have installed (things like MinGW, Msys etc) the
> configure script doesn't work either.
>
> Any advice you can give me will be gratefully appreciated.

If you are working on a windows machine, I greatly encourage you
to install cygwin (www.cygwin.com). Then you can run configure and build
GDB for migw, and follow this build with a documentation build.

--
Joel

* Re: Documentation in texinfo format.
@ 2007-08-24 21:49   ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2007-08-24 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

> > I have got the src module from cvs which seems to contain a lot of this
> > stuff, but when I try to run texify gdb.texinfo it comes up with an error
> > finding gdb-cfg.texi. I found a comment on usenet from Eli Z that you need
> > to do a make info in order for that to be produced, but I have no Makefile
> > and, with the software I have installed (things like MinGW, Msys etc) the
> > configure script doesn't work either.
> >
> > Any advice you can give me will be gratefully appreciated.
>
> If you are working on a windows machine, I greatly encourage you
> to install cygwin (www.cygwin.com). Then you can run configure and build GDB
> for migw, and follow this build with a documentation build.

Thanks for that suggestion. At the end of the day if that's what I need to
do then I may do it, but this is mainly so that I can reduce the size of
document I need to print out so if I can find a way to avoid installing
cygwin just so that I can do this that would be my preferred option.

@ 2007-08-24 21:54     ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2007-08-24 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John McCabe; +Cc: gdb

> Thanks for that suggestion. At the end of the day if that's what I need to
> do then I may do it, but this is mainly so that I can reduce the size of
> document I need to print out so if I can find a way to avoid installing
> cygwin just so that I can do this that would be my preferred option.

Perhaps someone will be able to give you the exact incantation that
allows you to produce the documentation. But otherwise, if a PDF would
fit the bill, I would recommend that you take a look at:

        http://www.sourceware.org/gdb/documentation/

--
Joel

* Re: Documentation in texinfo format.
@ 2007-08-25  0:12 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2007-08-25  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John McCabe; +Cc: gdb

John McCabe wrote:

> I have got the src module from cvs which seems to contain a lot of this
> stuff, but when I try to run texify gdb.texinfo it comes up with an error
> finding gdb-cfg.texi. I found a comment on usenet from Eli Z that you need
> to do a make info in order for that to be produced, but I have no Makefile
> and, with the software I have installed (things like MinGW, Msys etc) the
> configure script doesn't work either.

I know people have already suggested Cygwin, but I just want to point
out that the Makefile already takes care of all this automatically.  If
you install Cygwin and its tetex packages, all you have to do is "make
pdf" from a configured build directory and you get a typeset PDF file.

Brian

* Re: Documentation in texinfo format.
@ 2007-08-25 10:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-25 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John McCabe; +Cc: gdb

> From: "John McCabe" <john@assen.demon.co.uk>
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:42:20 +0100
>
> I have got the src module from cvs which seems to contain a lot of this
> stuff, but when I try to run texify gdb.texinfo it comes up with an error
> finding gdb-cfg.texi. I found a comment on usenet from Eli Z that you need
> to do a make info in order for that to be produced, but I have no Makefile

You do have Makefile, it's just called Makefile.in.  So

    make info -f Makefile.in srcdir=.

should do the trick for producing the Info files.

For PDF files, I believe you will need to say something like

    make info -f Makefile.in srcdir=. pdfdir=.

You will also need to have a program installed called `pdftex'.

> and, with the software I have installed (things like MinGW, Msys etc) the
> configure script doesn't work either.

With the above tricks, you don't need to run the configure script just
to produce documentation.

Note that the URL pointed out by Joel, namely
http://www.sourceware.org/gdb/documentation/, already includes the PDF
versions of the GDB manuals, so if you need just that, you might as
well download and use it, instead of producing it yourself.

* Re: Documentation in texinfo format.
@ 2007-08-25 10:08     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-25 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John McCabe; +Cc: gdb

> From: "John McCabe" <john@assen.demon.co.uk>
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:48:44 +0100
>
> > If you are working on a windows machine, I greatly encourage you
> > to install cygwin (www.cygwin.com). Then you can run configure and build GDB
> > for migw, and follow this build with a documentation build.
>
> Thanks for that suggestion. At the end of the day if that's what I need to
> do then I may do it, but this is mainly so that I can reduce the size of
> document I need to print out so if I can find a way to avoid installing
> cygwin just so that I can do this that would be my preferred option.

I think that installing Cygwin for producing PDF documents is an
overkill.  There are native Windows ports of TeX out there, if you
need pdftex and don't have it already.

* Re: Documentation in texinfo format.
@ 2007-08-25 10:09   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-25 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: john, gdb

> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:12:48 -0700
> From: Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net>
> CC: gdb@sourceware.org
>
> I know people have already suggested Cygwin, but I just want to point
> out that the Makefile already takes care of all this automatically.  If
> you install Cygwin and its tetex packages, all you have to do is "make
> pdf" from a configured build directory and you get a typeset PDF file.

As I wrote elsewhere, you can say "make pdf" even without Cygwin, and
without running the configure script.

* Re: Documentation in texinfo format.
@ 2007-08-25 10:11   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-25 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: john, gdb

> Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 13:06:13 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> CC: gdb@sourceware.org
>
> For PDF files, I believe you will need to say something like
>
>     make info -f Makefile.in srcdir=. pdfdir=.

Oops, cut-n-paste error.  I meant this:

    make pdf -f Makefile.in srcdir=. pdfdir=.