public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Should we close down gdb-discuss@gnu.org?
@ 2004-06-21 22:12 Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2004-06-21 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb-discuss; +Cc: gdb

I've noticed that, since the conversation from January has died down,
gdb-discuss has most often been used accidentally by newcomers to GDB,
when gdb@ or gdb-patches@ would be more appropriate.  (I'd like to
look at the archives to verify that this is the case, but it looks
like the archiving stopped working at the end of March.  I've asked
the GNU postmaster about this.)

gdb-discuss was originally the GDB Steering Committee's list, but then
it was decided that the committee should generally hold its
discussions in private, a private list was created, and this list was
renamed from gdbheads to gdb-discuss.

I can understand the advantage of having a list other than gdb@ to
carry non-technical discussions.  But I'm not sure that outweighs the
disadvantage of being confusing to newcomers to GDB.

What do people think?

* Re: [Gdb-discuss] Should we close down gdb-discuss@gnu.org?
@ 2004-06-21 23:22 ` David Carlton
From: David Carlton @ 2004-06-21 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Blandy; +Cc: gdb-discuss, gdb

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:11:41 -0500, Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com> said:

> I can understand the advantage of having a list other than gdb@ to
> carry non-technical discussions.  But I'm not sure that outweighs
> the disadvantage of being confusing to newcomers to GDB.

> What do people think?

The issues that led to the creation of gdb-discuss@ are still
unresolved.  I don't see there being a great need for gdb-discuss@
once they have been resolved, but I would lean towards leaving the
list in place until that happens.

Having said that, I don't have a strong opinion on the matter - I'm
not actively participating in gdb-related issues these days, after
all.

David Carlton
david.carlton@sun.com

* Re: [Gdb-discuss] Should we close down gdb-discuss@gnu.org?
@ 2004-06-24 18:19   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-06-24 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Carlton, Jim Blandy; +Cc: gdb, gdb-discuss

> ..  but I would lean towards leaving the
> list in place until that happens.

Yes.

Jim,

I suspect this is really a marketing problem.  Can I suggest approaching
the posters and just ask them what information they relied on when
identifying that list?

We not so recently had a similar problem with PRMS vs bug-gdb .  It
turned out that users were dilligently (and obviously correctly)
following instructions in one of the README files, oops!  Once that was
fixed the problem largely went away!

Andrew

PS: The mail archives appear to be broken :-(

* Re: [Gdb-discuss] Should we close down gdb-discuss@gnu.org?
@ 2004-06-28 20:43     ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2004-06-28 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: David Carlton, gdb, gdb-discuss

Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org> writes:
> I suspect this is really a marketing problem.  Can I suggest
> approaching the posters and just ask them what information they relied
> on when identifying that list?

That's a good idea.  I think I've lost the addresses of the two people
who posted (and because the archiving is busted, I can't go back and
find them), but if it happens again, I'll pursue this point.

> PS: The mail archives appear to be broken :-(

I know; I've already contacted postmaster@gnu.org about it.  No
response yet.

* Re: [Gdb-discuss] Should we close down gdb-discuss@gnu.org?
@ 2004-06-29  0:21       ` Michael Snyder