public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Solaris 11 buildbots
@ 2018-09-04 19:43 Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2018-09-04 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Sergio Durigan Junior

Prompted by a couple of gdb build failures in the past and Tom's message

	https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2018-09/msg00027.html

I intend to set up gdb buildbots running on Solaris 11.4.  The current
plan is to have two buildslaves, one running on Solaris 11.4/SPARC, the
other on Solaris 11.4/x86.  I'll certainly run them to build
sparcv9-sun-solaris2.11 and amd64-pc-solaris2.11 configurations testing
64-bit debugging; if it works out reasonably well, I mean to add 32-bit
testing as well.  I don't currently plan to test i386-pc-solaris2.11 or
sparc-sun-solaris2.11 (i.e. a 32-bit gdb) or Solaris 10: the latter is
close to it's end of life and I expect to remove gcc support for that
target in about a year or two.  Besides, I don't have hosts sufficiently
secured to run buildbots there.

As mentioned in the thread above, the target isn't in the best of shapes
right now, with close to 2000 failures and 200+ racy tests, mostly in
gdb.threads.  The latter may have to be filtered out to avoid large
amounts of useless noise.  However, the buildbot will at least be able
to detect build failures early on.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University

* Re: Solaris 11 buildbots
@ 2018-09-04 19:55 ` Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2018-09-04 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On 09/04/2018 03:43 PM, Rainer Orth wrote:
> Prompted by a couple of gdb build failures in the past and Tom's message
>
> 	https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2018-09/msg00027.html
>
> I intend to set up gdb buildbots running on Solaris 11.4. <snippage>
> 	Rainer

I thought there was a serious restriction with 11.4 in that one could
  not install on anything previous to a SPARC T4 ?

Dennis

* Re: Solaris 11 buildbots
@ 2018-09-04 20:33   ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2018-09-04 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Clarke; +Cc: gdb

Hi Dennis,

> On 09/04/2018 03:43 PM, Rainer Orth wrote:
>> Prompted by a couple of gdb build failures in the past and Tom's message
>>
>> 	https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2018-09/msg00027.html
>>
>> I intend to set up gdb buildbots running on Solaris 11.4. <snippage>
[...]
> I thought there was a serious restriction with 11.4 in that one could
>  not install on anything previous to a SPARC T4 ?

true, but I happen to have an S7 available for testing.  I simply can't
afford buildbots for older Solaris 11 updates, especially given that
Solaris 11.3 support will end in the relatively near future.

@ 2018-09-04 21:28     ` Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2018-09-04 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Orth; +Cc: gdb

On 09/04/2018 04:33 PM, Rainer Orth wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
>> On 09/04/2018 03:43 PM, Rainer Orth wrote:
>>> Prompted by a couple of gdb build failures in the past and Tom's message
>>>
>>> 	https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2018-09/msg00027.html
>>>
>>> I intend to set up gdb buildbots running on Solaris 11.4. <snippage>
> [...]
>> I thought there was a serious restriction with 11.4 in that one could
>>   not install on anything previous to a SPARC T4 ?
>
> true, but I happen to have an S7 available for testing.  I simply can't
> afford buildbots for older Solaris 11 updates, especially given that
> Solaris 11.3 support will end in the relatively near future.

hrmmm .. yes, I still have S10 systems running on contract and I think
  'support' will exist for a long long time. At least in the form of
  security updates. As for 11.4?  Well I'll neet a Netra T4 it seems.

Dennis

* Re: Solaris 11 buildbots
@ 2018-09-04 21:42       ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2018-09-04 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Clarke; +Cc: gdb

Hi Dennis,

>> true, but I happen to have an S7 available for testing.  I simply can't
>> afford buildbots for older Solaris 11 updates, especially given that
>> Solaris 11.3 support will end in the relatively near future.
>
> hrmmm .. yes, I still have S10 systems running on contract and I think
>  'support' will exist for a long long time. At least in the form of
>  security updates. As for 11.4?  Well I'll neet a Netra T4 it seems.

unfortunately not.  As explained here

	https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/oracle-solaris-10-support-explained
	https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/solaris-10-extended-support-patches-patchsets-released

beyond January 2018 Solaris 10 support requires a special contract (that
we don't have).  And even so, support will only last until 2021, at
which point at the very latest I'll stop supporting Solaris 10 in gcc
(and accordingly gdb).

Support or no, dealing with Solaris 10 has often been only a nuisance in
recent gcc work; all the more reason to get rid of it in the not too
distant future.

@ 2018-09-04 22:07         ` Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2018-09-04 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Orth; +Cc: gdb

On 09/04/2018 05:42 PM, Rainer Orth wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
>>> true, but I happen to have an S7 available for testing.  I simply can't
>>> afford buildbots for older Solaris 11 updates, especially given that
>>> Solaris 11.3 support will end in the relatively near future.
>>
>> hrmmm .. yes, I still have S10 systems running on contract and I think
>>   'support' will exist for a long long time. At least in the form of
>>   security updates. As for 11.4?  Well I'll neet a Netra T4 it seems.
>
> unfortunately not.  As explained here
>
> 	https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/oracle-solaris-10-support-explained
> 	https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris/solaris-10-extended-support-patches-patchsets-released
>
> beyond January 2018 Solaris 10 support requires a special contract

right, I have that.  $$$

> And even so, support will only last until 2021, at
> which point at the very latest I'll stop supporting Solaris 10 in gcc
> (and accordingly gdb).

Yep .. it is getting to be like Solaris 2.5.1 where it just ran and ran
and ran and it was all over the place and it ran and servers were left
untouched for years running and running and ... you get the point.  Then
they jumped to Solaris 8 and repeat the same process.

> Support or no, dealing with Solaris 10 has often been only a nuisance in
> recent gcc work; all the more reason to get rid of it in the not too
> distant future.

I have done reasonable builds of 8.1.0 but can't seem to find the
  motivation to look at anymore.

Dennis

* Re: Solaris 11 buildbots
@ 2018-09-05  8:03           ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2018-09-05  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Clarke; +Cc: gdb

Hi Dennis,

>> Support or no, dealing with Solaris 10 has often been only a nuisance in
>> recent gcc work; all the more reason to get rid of it in the not too
>> distant future.
>
> I have done reasonable builds of 8.1.0 but can't seem to find the
>  motivation to look at anymore.

same here: I feel little inclination to debug bugs in a 5 (or 13
depending on how you count) years old OS release that are long fixed in
Solaris 11.