public inbox for gdbadmin@sourceware.org
* Bugreport for binutils-gdb on cygwin
@ 2021-10-16 16:12 Claudius Schnörr
From: Claudius Schnörr @ 2021-10-16 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdbadmin; +Cc: brobecker

Hello,

I write to you since I don't know where to submit a bugreport.
After trying to compile the insight gdb-frontent on cygwin
(git://sourceware.org/git/insight.git) the maintainer classified the
following issue to directly be addressed to binutils-gdb package:

  * platform:
      o cygwin 64bit on Win-10
      o gcc (GCC) 11.2.0, g++ (GCC) 11.2.0

  * commands submitted:
      o git clone --recursive git://sourceware.org/git/binutils-gdb.git
      o autoconf
      o ./configure
      o make

  * Error message:
      o event-top.c: In function ‘void handle_fatal_signal(int)’:
        event-top.c:893:18: error: ‘strsignal’ was not declared in this
        scope; did you mean ‘strsigno’?
           893 |       sig_write (strsignal (sig));

  * comment:
      o strsignal() is declared in string.h. However, including it
        doesn't work.
        Then I inspected string.h on cygwin64 in /usr/include and found
        this:
      o #ifndef DEFS_H    /* Kludge to work around problem compiling in
        gdb */
        char    *strsignal (int __signo);
        #endif
      o suggestion: undefining DEFS_H might be risky -> to be added at
        line 55:
          + #ifndef DEFS_H
            #    include <string.h>             /* for strsignal on
            cygwin */
            #else
            char *strsignal (int __signo);      /* see
            /usr/include/string.h on cygwin */
            #endif
      o then it compiles, however a library is missed now:
          + x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
            event-top.o:.../insight/bundle/gdb/event-top.c:899:
            undefined reference to `strsignal(int)'

Hope this helps somehow.

Kind regards,

Claudius

* Re: Bugreport for binutils-gdb on cygwin
@ 2021-10-18 19:01 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2021-10-18 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claudius Schnörr; +Cc: gdbadmin, brobecker

Hello Claudius,

> I write to you since I don't know where to submit a bugreport.
> After trying to compile the insight gdb-frontent on cygwin
> (git://sourceware.org/git/insight.git) the maintainer classified the
> following issue to directly be addressed to binutils-gdb package:

Personally, I unfortunately do not have much knowledge about cygwin
(I know a little bit about MinGW-w64, but not cygwin). So I can't
even tell whether cygwin implements the strsignal function or not.

I think your best bet is if you can send the information you sent us
to the GDB community at gdb-patches@sourceware.org instead. This is
a good and easily understandable description of the issue you are
facing, and perhaps there will be someone who knows enough about Cygwin
to suggest a path forward, and in particular guide you towards fixing
the problem and perhaps even submitting a patch.

Another option is to perhaps contact the cygwin community to see
if they have any information about that function. In particular,
whether or not that function is available on cygwin platforms or not.

You can try to report the issue on our bugzilla:
https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=gdb

--
Joel