From: David S Gathright <David.Gathright@lasp.colorado.edu>
To: help-gnats@gnu.org
Subject: Adding "Approval" Mechanism
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:09:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Greetings.

At our organization, we've been using GNATS to track issues with some of
the various forms of software we hack up.  The GNATS system is almost
completely internal (i.e. we don't have a help line nor outside users
using this system).  We're on the verge of installing the new 4.0 system
in order to take advantage of its extensibility and flexibility.

One thing that could be added that would make GNATS even more powerful
(as far as Quality Assurance is concerned), would be to include a
mechanism for certain users to approve changes before they are made.
This person(s) may also be the only ones responsible/able to close PRs.

This would be easily done by adding "Approval-Date" and "Approved-By"
fields, but letting only certain individuals edit those fields is more
difficult (at least, as far as I know), especially as these might be
different from DB to DB.  Even more complicated is the case where you
have to get multiple people to approve the fix.

I wonder if there isn't a way to do this that I am overlooking, or if
this has been considered for future development purposes?

Thanks!

David Gathright

PS:  I have to admit, with the new GNATS 4.0 system, in addition to
using the software for our software PTS, I'm also pushing the system in
new directions to give us a web-based tool to manage just about any
typical form we use.  For example, we have various types of "Change
Request" forms for non-software tools (i.e. move this table over there),
which would be much simpler to manage using a GNATS-like system.
However, in our applications (which are much more critical than moving
tables, BTW), we require a number of different people to sign off on the
change before it can be done.  Having this feature in GNATS would help
in this application, too.

--
David S Gathright  (David.Gathright@lasp.colorado.edu)
Flight Software Engineer