* Re: Gnats config
       [not found] <1095344956.4104.40.camel@haddox.ds.amrdec.army.mil>
@ 2004-09-16 15:11 ` Chad Walstrom
       [not found]   ` <1095348824.4104.115.camel@haddox.ds.amrdec.army.mil>
From: Chad Walstrom @ 2004-09-16 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Haddox; +Cc: help-gnats

Randy Haddox wrote:
> Chad,
>
> I tried posting on the help forum but it did not shown up and I am in a
> bind trying to get Gnats 4.0 working with FC1.  I get the following
> messages when submitting my send-pr using emacs:
>
> [rphaddox@dvault rphaddox]$ send-pr
> pr-edit: invalid fields:
> Note: There was a bad value `rphaddox' for the field `Submitter-Id'.
> It was set to the default value of `unknown'.
> Errors were found with the problem report.
> a)bort, e)dit or s)end?

Did you put rphaddox in the "submitters" file?  Take a look at that file
and decide how you want to proceed with submitters.  You can leave the
submitter as unknown, and it should work.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/

* Re: Gnats config
       [not found]       ` <1095355131.4104.275.camel@haddox.ds.amrdec.army.mil>
@ 2004-09-17 14:56         ` Chad Walstrom
From: Chad Walstrom @ 2004-09-17 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Haddox; +Cc: help-gnats

Randy Haddox wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I forgot to mention that I have SUBMITTER=rphaddox defined in my
> /usr/local/bin/send-pr file.  Otherwise it will ask me to run
> 'install-sid YOUR-SID'.  Maybe this is incorrect?  In my Emacs session,
> there is only a Submitter-Id field instead of a submitters field.  Are
> they the same?

That was a typo on my part.  The field is "Submitter-Id", the file is
"submitters".  If 'rphaddox' is not a legal entry in submitters, you
cannot use it in your "Submitter-Id" field.  Edit your "SUBMITTER="
environment variable to say "unknown" or add 'rphaddox' to your
submitters file.

> Now when I submit a PR, it correctly returns "send-pr: problem report
> mailed" but the PR nevers shows up in the category "str" I selected
> from the category list defined in the header block and located in
> /usr/local/com/gnatsdb/str.

Is send-pr using a mailer or pr-edit?  Check the "MAILPROG=" environment
variable. If this is unset, you're using pr-edit.  If it is sent, you're
sending email.  If you're sending email, make sure your aliases file is
set up correctly to receive queries through email.

Alternatively, is the category listed in the "categories" file?  How did
you go about making the category?

Have you referenced the GNU GNATS manual ala the 'info' command?
There's a lot of useful information in there...

--

@ 2004-09-17 15:17           ` Randy Haddox
From: Randy Haddox @ 2004-09-17 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad Walstrom

> cannot use it in your "Submitter-Id" field.  Edit your "SUBMITTER="
> environment variable to say "unknown" or add 'rphaddox' to your
> submitters file.

Are tyou talking about the variable located in my /usr/local/bin/send-pr
file?

> Is send-pr using a mailer or pr-edit?  Check the "MAILPROG=" environment
> variable. If this is unset, you're using pr-edit.

I have MAILPROG set to "/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t".  Which is preferred,
pr-edit or mailer?

> sending email.  If you're sending email, make sure your aliases file is
> set up correctly to receive queries through email.

I assume this is correct but when I submit the PR using s)end, it takes
a while to return back to the prompt where the message "send-pr: problem
report mailed" is displayed.  I have included the following to my
aliases file:

gnats-admin:    root
bugs:           "| /usr/local/libexec/gnats/queue-pr -q"
bug-q:          "| /usr/local/libexec/gnats/queue-pr -q"
bug-log:        /usr/local/tmp/bugs.log
bugs:           bug-q, bug-log
query-pr:       "| /usr/local/libexec/gnats/mail-query"

> Alternatively, is the category listed in the "categories" file?  How did
> you go about making the category?

I re-did this category using the command '.../mkcat str' to double-check.

> Have you referenced the GNU GNATS manual ala the 'info' command?
> There's a lot of useful information in there...

I'm using it for sure but I have not attempted network access before.

Thanks,
Randy

* Re: Gnats config
@ 2004-09-17 18:24             ` Chad Walstrom
From: Chad Walstrom @ 2004-09-17 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Haddox; +Cc: help-gnats

Randy Haddox wrote:
> > cannot use it in your "Submitter-Id" field.  Edit your "SUBMITTER="
> > environment variable to say "unknown" or add 'rphaddox' to your
> > submitters file.
>
> Are tyou talking about the variable located in my /usr/local/bin/send-pr
> file?

Yes.  That whole, confusing install-sid issue.

> > Is send-pr using a mailer or pr-edit?  Check the "MAILPROG="
> > environment variable. If this is unset, you're using pr-edit.
>
> I have MAILPROG set to "/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t".  Which is
> preferred, pr-edit or mailer?

Depends upon your own preference.  Would you prefer to run gnats as a
daemon or as a local process?  Would you like to use the mail interface
or only allow access through the daemon and/or gnatsweb?  If the gnats
daemon is running through inetd, and if you are allowing connections
from your workstation to the server, pr-edit will be quicker to respond
than waiting for your cron job to process the incoming queue.

You have your cron job set up to process incoming emails, right?

  # Cron job for processing GNATS incoming queue. 10 min delay.
  5,15,25,35,45,55 * * * * gnats test -x /usr/lib/gnats/queue-pr && \
  	/usr/lib/gnats/queue-pr --run ; exit 0

> I assume this is correct but when I submit the PR using s)end, it takes
> a while to return back to the prompt where the message "send-pr: problem
> report mailed" is displayed.  I have included the following to my
> aliases file:
>
> gnats-admin:    root
> bugs:           "| /usr/local/libexec/gnats/queue-pr -q"
> bug-q:          "| /usr/local/libexec/gnats/queue-pr -q"
> bug-log:        /usr/local/tmp/bugs.log
> bugs:           bug-q, bug-log
> query-pr:       "| /usr/local/libexec/gnats/mail-query"

You have two entries for "bugs".  Your MTA should be complaining when
you run "newaliases".

> > Alternatively, is the category listed in the "categories" file?  How
> > did you go about making the category?
>
> I re-did this category using the command '.../mkcat str' to
> double-check.

OK.

> > Have you referenced the GNU GNATS manual ala the 'info' command?
> > There's a lot of useful information in there...
>
> I'm using it for sure but I have not attempted network access before.

Gotcha.  It sounds like you're not really using it, though.

--

@ 2004-09-20  7:53               ` Hans-Albert Schneider
From: Hans-Albert Schneider @ 2004-09-20  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

On Friday 17 September 2004 17:15, Chad Walstrom wrote:

> > I'm looking for a user request system like Lotus Notes but free.
> > I tried gnats and i think that it's the best solution for my
> > problem, but I need a web interface for users. Gnatsweb it's ok
> > for 20 clients or something similar but perl cgis aren't the best
> > thing for a big request system, and here my question:
>
> Perl CGI's actually do work fairly well, especially if you tie in
> things like mod_perl to speed up (remove) the initialization time
> of the interpretor.  Modifying gnatsweb is one of those pet
> projects one of our web developers would love to do, if he had the
> time. :-/  I could see breaking out the GNATS protocol into a
> package of its own, i.e. "Net::GNATS".

Mike Hoolehan is working on this, I think. The project is at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnatsperl/

Hans-Albert

--
Hans-Albert Schneider