* GNATS installation question
@ 2001-07-16  1:05 Giat, Hana
From: Giat, Hana @ 2001-07-16  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gnats-devel@sources.redhat.com'

Hi,
	First of all, sory to buther the whole mailing list. I'm doing this
just after trying all the other methods i can think about (news gruops,
searching the web, manuals, etc.)
	I have a problem with GNATS installation. I have installed gnats
with all the defaults, and tried to follow all of the instructions.
	Although, i cannot spawn the deamon because "520 You are not on the
host access list: stdin (stdin)."
	I think that because of this, "send-pr" replies with a "mysterious
mail failure" message.
	I have added the permissions to the gnatsd.access and gnatsd.conf,
and tried to follow all the instructions there.
	I'll any help...
				Thanks in advance,
					Hana Giat, Comverse
					hana_giat@icomverse.com

* Re: GNATS installation question
@ 2001-07-16  1:11 ` S Ramesh
From: S Ramesh @ 2001-07-16  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giat, Hana; +Cc: 'gnats-devel@sources.redhat.com'

In the gnatsd.conf file put
*:edit:
Now u can able to access gnatsd from the stdin.
it will say ready and when u type help u can see the commands u can play with.
what is ur send-pr's error.
gnats installation is mysterious.. the documentation is given as per the user
has some good info regd.. sendmail,xinetd and webserver.. etc.

Try to see the mailing list archieve surely u will get some info. I am also
one of the user who suffered a lot in this installation. now i got some info.
not fully. bu ti can help newbie's like u.

Ramesh

@ 2001-07-17  4:33 ` Hans-Albert Schneider
From: Hans-Albert Schneider @ 2001-07-17  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giat, Hana; +Cc: gnats-devel

    HG> Although, i cannot spawn the deamon because "520 You are
    HG> not on the host access list: stdin (stdin)."

Do you try to start it manually, from the command line?  It is
intended to be started by inetd (or xinetd, or a similar program).
You should need root privileges to edit its configuration file,
and also for step 5) below.

I am assuming inetd for the following.  My /etc/inetd.conf
contains a line like this:

#
# GNATS Problem Report System
#
support    stream  tcp     nowait  gnats        /usr/local/libexec/gnats/gnatsd gnatsd

Make sure that:

1) The 1st field ("support" above) contains a known service; that
   is, /etc/services contains a line for it.  It could also be
   the corresponding NIS map, or some LDAP entry, or whatever
   your system uses instead.  Your system administrator should know.

2) The 5th field ("gnats") is the username of your GNATS user.

3) The 6th field ("/usr/local/libexec/gnats/gnatsd") is the full
   pathname of the gnatsd program.  You do not need to use
   TCP-wrapper or something like this, as gnatsd does something
   similar through gnats.conf.

4) Check the man page for inetd.conf and reorder the fields, if
   needed.

5) Tell the running inetd to reread its configuration file, by
   sending it a "kill -HUP".

Hope this helps,

     Hans-Albert

--