From: Bob Manson <bmanson@juniper.net>
To: Rick Macdonald <rickm@vsl.com>
Cc: gnats-devel@sourceware.cygnus.com, bug-gnats@gnu.org
Subject: Re: proclamation of intent
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:38:00 -0000	[thread overview]

In message < Pine.GSO.4.10.9908231115550.20253-100000@sys4 >, Rick Macdonald writ
es:
>On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Bob Manson wrote:
>
>What does everybody think about numbering the next release 3.201, or
>3.300 or 4.0?

I was shooting for 4.0 myself, since I think it's a big enough change
to merit it.  Maybe "4.0-this-is-guaranteed-to-corrupt-your-PRMS-database"
would be a better name ;-)

It's currently not network-protocol-backwards-compatible.  I've
removed the myriad of "QXXX" commands and replaced them all with
"QUER queryformatname".  I could put back the old ones, I suppose. (On
the other hand if I don't fix this, that means I can rip out all those
screwy LXXX commands, the field designation commands, et al.)

In other news, I've implemented the configuration file, and the format
looks almost exactly like what we came up with. Works too, tho I
haven't removed the old field initialization stuff yet (it's in a new
source file scheduled for demolition).

Maybe I should work on getting a preliminary release out instead of
finishing up what I originally started, namely the ability to add
fields ;-) I have yet to add the network protocol for dumping out the
field info (and the associated client options), there are still a fair
number of places that know how many fields there are, and the mapping
between internal field names and actual fields is not done (it still
essentially derefs an array, bad juju).

If anyone really wants to play with this, I'll put it up.  Check it
in? Something.  I say check it into CVS and let Patty sort it out.
Other opinions?

>I wish I had a beer for every time I've answered mail from people trying
>to build 3.2!

I wish I had a beer for every line of crap code I've deleted.  I'd be
drunk for a couple of months, easy. ;-)
						Bob