From: "Chad C. Walstrom" <chewie@wookimus.net>
To: GNU GNATS discussions <help-gnats@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: GNATS development services moved to gnu.org
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 02:31:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Michael Richardson wrote:
> I find this very counterintuitive.  I don't really think that we need
> endless support questions on what was the -devel list.

Originally, gnats-devel was the only list that was suitable for posing
questions, suggestions, or general discussion.  True, the -devel implies
that development related discussions predominate the list, and
help- implies that help questions predominate.  We really didn't have a
whole lot of traffic on gnats-devel to begin with.  If traffic picks up,
most likely after the release of v4, you can always elect to start up
yet another list for devel-only discussions.

Personal preference would have directed me to make (keep)
gnats-{devel,user,announce,cvs} lists instead of
{help,info,commit}-gnats, but GNU seems to have a precedence with this
naming convention.  For example, it'd be a lot easier to find the gnats
related lists at http://www.gnu.org/pipermail/ were they prefixed with
the software name instead of the list topic.  Regardless, a list is a
list, and it's really not that big of a deal.

BTW, I'm getting pretty excited to see GNATS v4 coming together! ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD