From: Lars Henriksen <Lars.Henriksen@netman.dk>
To: Dirk Bergstrom <dirk@juniper.net>
Cc: Paul Traina <pst@juniper.net>, help-gnats@gnu.org
Subject: Re: X-GNATS-NOTIFY & the CC list in 4.0
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 01:55:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 02:44:26PM -0800, Dirk Bergstrom wrote:
> i propose:
>
> *) in place of x-gnats-notify, add a field to the standard dbconfig called "CC-On-Change-List" (or something like that).
> *) change the audit-mail format thusly:
>     header {
> -	format "Subject: Re: %s/%s\n"
> +	format "Subject: Re: %s/%s\nCc: %s\n"
> -	fields { "Category" "Number" }
> +	fields { "Category" "Number" "CC-On-Change-List" }
>     }
> *) remove the Cc: and X-GNATS-Notify headers from send-pr, and remove the [-c|--cc] option.
> *) remove the code supporting XGN/CC from gnatsweb.
>
> this will give us most of the same functionality, without a bunch of bag-on-the-side support for random headers.  it also gives users the choice of whether or not to have a CC functionality.
>
> what do y'all think?

Sorry for the slow reaction. This is a good idea. I have noticed that you (?)
have removed X-GNATS-Notify from gnatsweb.pl in the current CVS version. I have
tested your suggestion of introducing a new field in dbconfig and it works out
fine.

One suggestion though. Instead of tagging a Cc: header onto Subject:, I have
simply added the new field (Notify-List in my case) to to-addresses in the
audit-mail format:

   to-addresses {
	"Notify-List"
	"Responsible"
	"$OldResponsible"
	"Category[notify]"
	"Submitter-Id[contact]"
	"$EditUserEmailAddr"
	"Reply-To:" | "From:" | "From"
   }

By the way, there are still two X-GNATS-Notify occurrences left in gnatsweb.pl,
so the mail header is still present in PRs. Is that on purpose?

Lars Henriksen