* Call for new GNATS maintainer
@ 2004-03-28 22:32 Andrew Gray
From: Andrew Gray @ 2004-03-28 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Hi Everyone,

I regret that I have not given GNATS the effort that it deserved.  In
recognition of this I have decided to step down from the GNATS
maintainer role.

Would anyone like to take GNATS maintenance over?  It would be great
if someone could take on incorporating the work that Mel has done on
multiple back-ends for GNATS.

I would like to thank everyone that has helped me in my role,
particularly Yngve, Milan and Mel.  I am sorry that I have not done as
much to maintain GNATS as I should have.

--
Andrew Gray
GNU GNATS Maintainer

* Re: Call for new GNATS maintainer
@ 2004-03-30 19:04 ` Chad Walstrom
From: Chad Walstrom @ 2004-03-30 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 12:37:35PM +1000, Andrew Gray wrote:
> I regret that I have not given GNATS the effort that it deserved.  In
> recognition of this I have decided to step down from the GNATS
> maintainer role.

Thank you for the service you've provided to the GNATS community!  I
certainly appreciate it, having used gnats at two separate places of
employment at least. ;-)

> Would anyone like to take GNATS maintenance over?  It would be great
> if someone could take on incorporating the work that Mel has done on
> multiple back-ends for GNATS.

I might step up to the plate if I can convince my employer, the
University of Minnesota College of Biological Sciences, to allow some
development time on GNATS during the daytime hours.  I have a general
aversion to spending too much time on the computer at home when I work
on it all day. ;-)  So far the work I've done for the Debian packages,
albeit limited so far, has been OK'ed.

> I would like to thank everyone that has helped me in my role,
> particularly Yngve, Milan and Mel.

Likewise!  You're all great! ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/

* Re: Call for new GNATS maintainer
@ 2004-03-30 23:44   ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2004-03-30 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad Walstrom; +Cc: help-gnats

Chad Walstrom wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 12:37:35PM +1000, Andrew Gray wrote:
>

>>I regret that I have not given GNATS the effort that it deserved.  In
>>recognition of this I have decided to step down from the GNATS
>>maintainer role.
>>

>Thank you for the service you've provided to the GNATS community!  I
>certainly appreciate it, having used gnats at two separate places of
>employment at least. ;-)

I second that!

>I might step up to the plate if I can convince my employer, the
>University of Minnesota College of Biological Sciences, to allow some
>development time on GNATS during the daytime hours.  I have a general
>aversion to spending too much time on the computer at home when I work
>on it all day. ;-)  So far the work I've done for the Debian packages,
>albeit limited so far, has been OK'ed.

Sounds very good. If I were to nominate someone, it would either be you
or Mel Hatzis.

- Yngve

* Re: Call for new GNATS maintainer
@ 2004-04-01 22:04   ` Andrew Gray
From: Andrew Gray @ 2004-04-01 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad Walstrom; +Cc: help-gnats

Hi Chad,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:26:05PM -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> > Would anyone like to take GNATS maintenance over?  It would be great

> I might step up to the plate if I can convince my employer, the
> University of Minnesota College of Biological Sciences, to allow some
> development time on GNATS during the daytime hours.  I have a general

I'm glad to hear that you are considering taking on the GNATS
maintainer role, thanks.  I hope the discussions with your employer go
well.

--

@ 2004-04-02  4:11 ` Mel Hatzis
From: Mel Hatzis @ 2004-04-02  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Gray; +Cc: help-gnats

On 03/27/2004 06:37 PM, Andrew Gray submitted:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I regret that I have not given GNATS the effort that it deserved.  In
> recognition of this I have decided to step down from the GNATS
> maintainer role.
>
> Would anyone like to take GNATS maintenance over?  It would be great
> if someone could take on incorporating the work that Mel has done on
> multiple back-ends for GNATS.
>
> I would like to thank everyone that has helped me in my role,
> particularly Yngve, Milan and Mel.  I am sorry that I have not done as
> much to maintain GNATS as I should have.

Andrew, thanks for stepping up and getting version 4.0 out as
a general release. This has served the GNATS community well and
we appreciate it and your involvement in the project.

I have a fairly demanding schedule which makes me a little
reluctant to volunteer....and the discussion with my employer
wasn't as favourable as I'm hoping Chad's will be.

In any case, I'm happy to continue supporting the project and
providing some personal development cycles. It'd be really
neat if I could take a more active "developer" role in the
project...my schedule may not afford me the time for maintainer
but I think I could provide valuable development cycles.

--
Mel Hatzis

* Re: Call for new GNATS maintainer
@ 2004-04-07 17:00   ` Chad Walstrom
From: Chad Walstrom @ 2004-04-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

I've talked with my supervisor about stepping up as GNATS maintainer.
He is willing to allow 5% of my time at work to contintribute to the
project.  However, there are a few hoops I have to jump through before
anything is official:

    1. I have to talk to the UMN Copyright Office to find out what their
       stance is.  Can I contribute?  Will they allow me and my
       supervisor to sign the FSF release?  Do they need to sign it?

    2. If the Copyright Office gives the OK, we need to get the OK from
       the Assistant Dean of the College.

If all this goes well, that still means only 5% development time in a
40+ hr work week.  Is two hours per week enough?  Obviously, to make
that an effective use of time, I'd have to block it off from other
activities.  I'm already adding personal time for the Debian packages
(although I have the OK to work on software we use for purposes of
installation and maintenance, it's not "officially" development time).

I'll keep you all posted.

--

@ 2004-04-07 18:30     ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2004-04-07 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad Walstrom; +Cc: help-gnats

Chad Walstrom wrote:

>If all this goes well, that still means only 5% development time in a
>40+ hr work week.  Is two hours per week enough?  Obviously, to make
>that an effective use of time, I'd have to block it off from other
>activities.  I'm already adding personal time for the Debian packages
>(although I have the OK to work on software we use for purposes of
>installation and maintenance, it's not "officially" development time).

That's probably not that big a problem. I think it is much more
important that you are able to regularly spend two hours a week, instead
of, say, a full day every fifth week. That way, people who submit
patches or contribute otherwise aren't put off by long periods without
any feedback.

- Yngve

* Re: Call for new GNATS maintainer
@ 2004-04-14 15:47     ` Andrew Gray
From: Andrew Gray @ 2004-04-14 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad Walstrom; +Cc: help-gnats

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:45:46AM -0500, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> I've talked with my supervisor about stepping up as GNATS maintainer.
> He is willing to allow 5% of my time at work to contintribute to the
> project.

Great, that is good news!

>  However, there are a few hoops I have to jump through before
> anything is official:

OK, I hope that goes well.

> If all this goes well, that still means only 5% development time in a
> 40+ hr work week.  Is two hours per week enough?  Obviously, to make
> that an effective use of time, I'd have to block it off from other
> activities.  I'm already adding personal time for the Debian packages
> (although I have the OK to work on software we use for purposes of
> installation and maintenance, it's not "officially" development time).

I agree with Yngve, I think two hours per week is enough, particularly
if it is regular (and it is more than I have been applying to GNATS).

> I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks.

--

@ 2004-04-15  0:02       ` Chad Walstrom