On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 05:49:43PM +0530, arunkurse wrote: > I am Arun , working as system administrator . I need to clarify > certain doubts regarding gnats version 4.0 . > > 1. Is it possible to install gants4.0 on solaris 8??? I don't see why not. > 2. If possible what should be the mininum patch level on solaris 8?? Define "minimum patch level". > 3. How much space does it consume for installation and configuration > of database ??? The programs are relatively small, especially if you compile them dynamically linked. The size of the database will be proportionate to the number of reports you expect to receive. Each problem report is stored in a separate file on the filesystem in plain-text. The format of each report is a modified RFC822 Internet message, and is fully compliant with that standard. These PR's are not compressed, but can be archived and aged. Currently, we have just over 3000 problem reports in our database directory. All of these were received over email, and MIME attachments were not removed (so a significant portion of the space used is a result of spam and viruses). The space consumption is currently around 21MB. This could probably be reduced by at least one third if we re-categoriezed many of the "pending" PR's to "spam" and removed them: 5.9M pending 3.4M spam 1.8M email 1.6M pc-sw 1.3M server 1.3M mac-sw 1.1M gnats-adm 772K website 736K general 496K pc-hw 488K network 392K windows 348K macintosh 248K mac-hw 228K printer 192K novell 124K lists 108K mmaker 68K biosci 40K projects 32K web-cgi 16K security 16K gnats 8.0K glycine 4.0K gnats-queue 4.0K mcb-xserve 108K test Taking a quick cursory glance over the vast majority of problem reports, space consumption falls around the 4k mark, the typical block size for most filesystems. Space would be recovered here on a filesystem like reiserfs, which specializes in storing many small files. Some quick math would reveal that for every 1000 Problem Reports, on average you should be consuming 4000 blocks or 4000KB of space. Additional space savings could be realized through MIME filtering/conversions of submitted emails through procmail filters. We already block emails larger than 50KB in size. Some emails are sent with both plain-text and HTML attachments, and some are HTML-only. Our procmail filter is attached to give you some ideas on how to handle such things. -- Chad Walstrom http://www.wookimus.net/ assert(expired(knowledge)); /* core dump */