* Changes to gnatsweb.pl
@ 2004-09-18 14:54 Stuart Stevens
From: Stuart Stevens @ 2004-09-18 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

I have made the following changes to our gnatsweb.pl file.  Are any of these
changes of any general interest?

1.  After the submit, the following web page displays the new PR number
which the user can click on.

2.  Sections were added by creating dummy field entries in the GNATS
database.  Each field began with the word "Separator" and the description
field contained the text of the separation.  Quick links were added to the
top of the web page.  "edit" or "submit" buttons were added to the "view"
and "edit" pages.

3.  If field is Notes than blank it on the edit screen.  This was needed to
support the pseudo append-only field.

4. Load a database specific $gnatsweb_site_file if it exists.  This was
added after init_prefs().

Stuart

* Re: Changes to gnatsweb.pl
@ 2004-09-20 20:32 ` Chad Walstrom
From: Chad Walstrom @ 2004-09-20 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Stuart Stevens wrote:
> 1.  After the submit, the following web page displays the new PR
>     number which the user can click on.

Sweet!  I would assume that you can submit patches through the Savannah
interface[1]_ for gnatsweb[2]_.

> 2. Sections were added by creating dummy field entries in the GNATS
>    database.  Each field began with the word "Separator" and the
>    description field contained the text of the separation.

That sounds like a hack.  Effective, no doubt, but hackish.  What do you
mean by "sections"?

>    Quick links were added to the top of the web page.  "edit" or
>    "submit" buttons were added to the "view" and "edit" pages.

Useful.  However, isn't the "edit" and "submit" buttons already shown on
the view and edit pages, respectively?

> 3. If field is Notes than blank it on the edit screen.  This was
>    needed to support the pseudo append-only field.

Hmm...  Perhaps we should look to support append-only fields in GNATS
itself.  This sounds like a nice workaround for gnatsweb.

> 4. Load a database specific $gnatsweb_site_file if it exists.  This
>    was added after init_prefs().

That's useful. ;-)

References
==========
.. [1] https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?group=gnatsweb
.. [2] https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnatsweb

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/

* Re: Changes to gnatsweb.pl
@ 2004-09-21 19:33 ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2004-09-21 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stuart Stevens; +Cc: help-gnats

Please send me the changes, preferably as diffs against the head CVS
branch of Gnatsweb. If that proves difficult, send me the entire
gnatsweb.pl. I'll look at the changes and consider them for inclusion.
At least the first feature listed below is already long overdue.

Thanks,

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer

Stuart Stevens wrote:

> I have made the following changes to our gnatsweb.pl file.  Are any of
> these changes of any general interest?
>

> 1.  After the submit, the following web page displays the new PR
> number which the user can click on.
>
> 2.  Sections were added by creating dummy field entries in the GNATS
> database.  Each field began with the word "Separator" and the
> description field contained the text of the separation.  Quick links
> were added to the top of the web page.  "edit" or "submit" buttons
> were added to the "view" and "edit" pages.
>
> 3.  If field is Notes than blank it on the edit screen.  This was
> needed to support the pseudo append-only field.
>
> 4. Load a database specific $gnatsweb_site_file if it exists.  This
> was added after init_prefs().

* RE: Changes to gnatsweb.pl
@ 2004-09-28 14:46   ` Stuart Stevens
From: Stuart Stevens @ 2004-09-28 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Chad Walstrom', help-gnats

Chad

Yes, the "sections" is hackish.  Better if attributes could be added to the
GNATs fields and then define well known attributes. I wanted to key off of
the database so the hack keys off of dummy fields that are enums with a
single value which is the title.  The gnatsweb.pl script catches field names
beginning with "Separator" and treats them specially.  Removes them from the
query forms and adds them to the view and edit pages.  For non gnatsweb
users these fields help break up the form still.

field "Separator1" {
    enum {
        values { "Problem Description" }
        default "Problem Description"

Sections displays a single table row with the background color of the header
and text displayed as "H1".  The purpose is to break up the form into
sections that different people are responsible for.  There are some links at
the top of the page to take the user directly to the section they are
interested in.  Within the section there is a button which duplicates the
button at the top and bottom of the web page (edit or submit for view or
edit pages) (as you pointed out below).  We are using four sections that
break the edit and view pages into five sections

(initial section without a title) - 18 fields
Problem Description - Originator and problem fields (14)
Fix - Developer and fix info (17)
Verification - QA info (5 and expected to grow)
Miscellaneous - Unformatted followed by audit-trail