From: Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>
To: help-gnats@gnu.org
Subject: send-pr, time to borgify it?
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:28:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Well, the adventure with automake continues.  I'm starting to get a
good feel for things.  Reading the automake manual requires you to pay
attention, but most of the information I need is there.

One thing I've come to question is whether or not we care to retain
the separate send-pr directory.  It appears that send-pr was intended
to operate with or without the presence of pr-edit and query-pr,
falling back to sendmail.  It could be distributed to your
customer/client as a generic shell script with no external
dependencies.

Currently, I've retained and updated the configure.ac file in send-pr,
added Makefile.am and dumped Makefile.in (built by automake).  We
*could* distribute send-pr independent of GNATS, but *should* we?
(This isn't rhetorical.  I would really like to know your opinions.)

Over the years, it appears that the send-pr.texi manual has been fully
integrated into the GNATS manual.  Additionally, the emacs *.el file
has been dropped in favor of the gnats.el file.  By all indications,
send-pr doesn't appear to exist separately from GNATS at all.  If one
wishes to distribute send-pr to a customer, she could tarball up
send-pr, send-pr.1, install-sid, and install-sid.8.  Even that is not
highly necessary.  The functionality of install-sid (updating a config
file) could be rolled into send-pr.

Hmm...  I just did a search against help-gnats for send-pr to see if
this conversation had popped up in the past and found an interesting
post. [1]_  It appears that Yngve had created a manpage for
send-pr.conf back in 2001 that doesn't appear to exist in our CVS
repository.  We should probably roll that in, updated for today's use.
;-)

So, what do you folks say?  Roll send-pr into GNATS proper and dump
the extra build infrastructure or keep it pseudo-separate?

.. [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnats/2001-05/msg00040.html

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/