Walt Sullivan wrote: > > I'm running Gnats 3.113.1, GnatsWeb 2.9.3 on Linux. > I've received a request to change the names of several categories. I faced the same problem almost exactly two years ago. There is now an entry in the GNATS FAQ about this. The FAQ is at http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/doc/faq/gnats-faq.html Go to "Configuration Issues" / "General Configuration Questions" / "How do I rename a category?" If you want to check the mails from then, go to http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnats/ and search for categor* and renam* > Is it as simple as I think? I think I can: > > 1. Stop the queue-pr cron job. > > 2. Edit the "categories" file, change "oldname" to "newname". > > 3. Rename the directory from "oldname" to "newname". > > 4. Restart the queue-pr cron job. > > Is it really that simple, or are there gotchas waiting to bite me? If you are using proper locking, steps 1 and 4 are superflouos. If you do not use locking, steps 2 and 3 may interfere with somebody else changing one of the reports at the same time. As the PR files themselves bear the category name in them, steps 2 and 3 are not that simple: the index is not updated, and (at least in GNATS 3.xxx) it contains the category names given in the file. The FAQ describes a safer method. I use the attached script when I have to rename a category. I have written similar scripts for changing responsibles and e-mail addresses (which was necessary because our team has been transfered to another company). Note: I did not yet check whether this script also works for GNATS 4.0. I am aware of one caveat with GNATS 4: If you changed the the name of the "Category" field, you need to adjust the strings in lines 45, 49, and 82. Hans-Albert -- Hans-Albert Schneider Infineon Technologies AG phone: (+49) 89 234 45445 Corporate Logic; Verification fax: (+49) 89 234 724399 (CL DAT TDM VM) Munich, Germany