Hi All, I finally found out the reason & solved my own problem. Thank you very much, Mel, for turning me in the right direction! Mel Hatzis wrote: > > On 03/27/2003 06:04 AM, Dirk Schenkewitz submitted: > > > ... > > I noticed this too. In my case, I setup a field as 'required' and > it wasn't working via gnatsweb, because gnatsweb was inserting a > newline (thereby making the field look like it had a value). > > I fixed it by changing the 'fix_multiline_val' sub, as follows: > > sub fix_multiline_val > { > my $val = shift; > $val =~ s/\r\n?/\n/g; > $val .= "\n" unless $val =~ /\n$/; > if ($val =~ /^\s*$/) > { > # don't allow whitespace values to circumvent 'required' fields > $val = ""; > } > $val; > } > > This basically prevents whitespace only values from being entered > as the (multiline) field value which I consider to be a good fix. > > This should help you in the case where a newly created PR is edited > for the first time - since this is when gnatsweb will add the > newline, thereby changing the field and adding a change log to the > audit trail. > > Hope this helps. It did, although not completely. Now I know that I caused the problem by myself, by adding "-wrap=>'hard'" to the edit-fields. This was done to preserve the format of an PR, esp. user-added line-breaks. Without it I found no way to distinguish between user-added and gnatsweb-added line-breaks. But it caused the following strange behaviour: - a soft linebreak was inserted as a single sequence. - a hard (user-added) linebreak was inserted as . I found no way to avoid that. Finally I changed 'fix_multiline_val' into the attached one. From then on, everything worked like I wanted: - Soft linebreaks do not make it into the PR - Hard linebreaks go into the PR as-is. I send this to the list just in case someone else wants this behaviour or stumbles over it. It's not a Gnatsweb bug but merely a perl-cgi bug. But it seems the only way to get rid of it is a special version of 'fix_multiline_val'. Have fun. dirk -- Dirk Schenkewitz InterFace AG fon: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 126 Leipziger Str. 16 fax: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 83 D-82008 Unterhaching http://www.interface-ag.de mailto:dirk.schenkewitz@interface-ag.de