* Web interface
@ 2004-08-23 17:45 Alvaro Cortes
From: Alvaro Cortes @ 2004-08-23 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

* Re: Web interface
@ 2004-09-17 16:18 ` Chad Walstrom
From: Chad Walstrom @ 2004-09-17 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alvaro Cortes; +Cc: help-gnats

Alvaro Cortes wrote:
> This is my first mail to the list. I hope to help other people in the
> future.

Sorry for the late response.  I had intended on replying to it and
thought I had at some point, but I can't seem to find my reply.

> I'm looking for a user request system like Lotus Notes but free.  I
> tried gnats and i think that it's the best solution for my problem,
> but I need a web interface for users. Gnatsweb it's ok for 20 clients
> or something similar but perl cgis aren't the best thing for a big
> request system, and here my question:

Perl CGI's actually do work fairly well, especially if you tie in things
like mod_perl to speed up (remove) the initialization time of the
interpretor.  Modifying gnatsweb is one of those pet projects one of our
web developers would love to do, if he had the time. :-/  I could see
breaking out the GNATS protocol into a package of its own, i.e.
"Net::GNATS".

> Does anyone know a program based in java servlets or something
> similar(PHP) for a web based interface? if not, Could be the task
> complicated?

I don't think it would be all that complicated.  You could use any of
the language-of-choice's existing protocol libraries as a model.  The
GNATS network protocol is fully documented in the info docs and is
accessible from the GNATS homepage.

> Excuse my bad english, but in schools of my country english languge
> class is a shit.

Heh.  You're doing fine.  Better than my German, to say the least. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/

* Re: Web interface
@ 2004-09-17 18:42   ` Pankaj K Garg
From: Pankaj K Garg @ 2004-09-17 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad Walstrom; +Cc: help-gnats

Chad Walstrom wrote:
> Alvaro Cortes wrote:
>>Does anyone know a program based in java servlets or something
>>similar(PHP) for a web based interface? if not, Could be the task
>>complicated?
>

> I don't think it would be all that complicated.  You could use any of
> the language-of-choice's existing protocol libraries as a model.  The
> GNATS network protocol is fully documented in the info docs and is
> accessible from the GNATS homepage.

A while ago I did a version of the web interface in Python. In case you
are interested, it's still available at:

  http://www.zeesource.net/downloads/

Would be happy to answer any questions.

Pankaj

--
Pankaj K Garg                         garg@zeesource.net
1684 Nightingale Avenue               408-373-4027

http://www.zeesource.net              http://home.earthlink.net/~gargp

* Re: Web interface
@ 2004-09-17 22:01     ` Alvaro Cortes
From: Alvaro Cortes @ 2004-09-17 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)