* CVS & patches
@ 2002-12-04  3:02 Christopher Nagel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Nagel @ 2002-12-04  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

I am considering adopting GNATS instead of Bugzilla and was wondering
about two things.

I have not seen any information about integration between GNATS & CVS -
is there any or any planned?

Also, on the home page, the first link to the latest release says it's
not stable whereas a later reference, to starting a new site, says to
use the latest release.  Assuming I get the latest release, is there an
up-to-date patch list available?  (IOW, should I search this list for
emailed patches?)

Many thanks,
Chris

* Re: CVS & patches
@ 2002-12-04  3:20 ` Mark D. Baushke
From: Mark D. Baushke @ 2002-12-04  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Nagel; +Cc: help-gnats

Christopher Nagel <chris@cnagel.com> writes:

> I am considering adopting GNATS instead of Bugzilla and was wondering
> about two things.
>
> I have not seen any information about integration between GNATS & CVS
> -
> is there any or any planned?

What kind of integration?

CVS has a log_accum.pl example script that may be updated to allow you
to use it to e-mail a gnats database information about a particular PR
that was mentioned in a log message and the rcstemplate in CVS may allow
for structured fields and the verifylog trigger is able to remove unused
fields if necessary. Such log messages that are e-mailed could easily
have URLs for either viewcvs or cvsweb scripts as well as URLs for
gnatsweb that reference the particular PRs for the fix.

	-- Mark

* Re: CVS & patches
@ 2002-12-04 17:58 ` Andrew J. Gray
From: Andrew J. Gray @ 2002-12-04 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris; +Cc: help-gnats

> Also, on the home page, the first link to the latest release says it's
> not stable whereas a later reference, to starting a new site, says to
> use the latest release.  Assuming I get the latest release, is there an
> up-to-date patch list available?  (IOW, should I search this list for
> emailed patches?)

There is not a central list of patches, searching this list and the
bug database at:

http://bugs.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?database=gnats

would be your best bet for finding patches. The advantage of getting
the latest GNATS 4.0 beta 2 release is that GNATS 4 has some
significant enchancements and development is now focused almost
exclusively on GNATS 4.0.

--
Andrew J. Gray

* Re: CVS & patches
@ 2002-12-05 22:09 ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2002-12-05 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Nagel, help-gnats

At 22:44 03.12.2002 -0500, Christopher Nagel wrote:
>Also, on the home page, the first link to the latest release says it's not
>stable whereas a later reference, to starting a new site, says to use the
>latest release.  Assuming I get the latest release, is there an up-to-date
>patch list available?  (IOW, should I search this list for emailed patches?)

Actually, if you look closely at it, GNATS 3.113.1, which is considered the
latest stable release, is actually itself a beta. I have very extensive
experience with running a busy GNATS 3 installation, and from the 4.0
testing I have done, and from the bug reports we have had, I would say that
4.0 beta 2 is generally better, a good deal more stable and far more
feature-rich than 3.113.1. And I know for a fact that the Gnatsweb 4 beta
that comes with GNATS 4.0 beta 2 is the best Gnatsweb ever with regards to
stability, correctness and usability.

All in all, if you are setting up a new site, jump into it and get GNATS
4.0 beta 2. There are problems left, but they are not serious as far as I know.

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer