From: Milan Zamazal <pdm@zamazal.org>
To: Peter Novodvorsky <nidd@altlinux.ru>
Cc: gnats-devel@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: modular database backends
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:37:00 -0000	[thread overview]

    PN>         So I've began work on making database backends to gnats
    PN> modular.  Just now, gnats has two "backends", network (gnatsd)
    PN> and filsystem. If we make system of backends modular we could
    PN> have SQL backend, etc., etc.

Yes, this is a wanted feature.

    PN>         Second thing I don't like in GNATS, it doesn't has
    PN> ACLs. This modular framework should support them.  Here is the
    PN> header file that will briefly describe what I mean:

I'm afraid I couldn't understand what kind of ACLs you would like to
have.  Could you elaborate?

    PN>         If everything will be OK in the end following will be
    PN> possible:

    PN>            user -> client -> gnatsd -> SQL server (MySQL,
    PN> Postgres)

    PN>         What do you think of this crazy idea?

I can't see anything crazy in it. :-) Actually I was already asked by my
friend about the possibility of using LDAP as the PR storage.

However, no new features will get into GNATS 4.0.  I think the backend
architecture and the MIME handling could be the main feature candidates
for the first non-bug-fix release after 4.0.  Of course, we can start
discussing the API and architecture now and you can also work on a
preliminary implementation in the meantime, just don't expect it to have
it in 4.0.

    PN> I'm not professional programmer and I would like to discuss
    PN> implementation of this feature with maintainer.

OK.

BTW, please note I'll be soon out of Internet for about a week or two.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
Omigod, it's a flame war about a flame war.  You know, a meta-flame war!
                                                 Kenny Tilton in comp.lang.lisp