* Re: GNATS development services moved to gnu.org
       [not found] <87itc8vtp9.fsf@blackbird.zamazal.org>
@ 2001-10-05  6:33 ` Michael Richardson
From: Michael Richardson @ 2001-10-05  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU GNATS discussions

    Milan>   + help-gnats@gnu.org (formerly gnats-devel@sources.redhat.com)
    Milan>     A low-to-middle volume mailing list where anything related to GNATS
    Milan>     can be discussed (development, help, questions, suggestions, etc.).

  I find this very counterintuitive.

  I don't really think that we need endless support questions on what was the
-devel list.

    Milan> This was one of the last steps before GNU GNATS 4 beta release, which
    Milan> you can expect in a few weeks.

  Excellent...

  I guess I should post a bug report on the "LIST classes" call, since
"class" isn't really a built-in (or rather, doesn't have to be).

* Re: GNATS development services moved to gnu.org
@ 2001-10-08  2:31   ` Chad C. Walstrom
From: Chad C. Walstrom @ 2001-10-08  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU GNATS discussions

Michael Richardson wrote:
> I find this very counterintuitive.  I don't really think that we need
> endless support questions on what was the -devel list.

Originally, gnats-devel was the only list that was suitable for posing
questions, suggestions, or general discussion.  True, the -devel implies
that development related discussions predominate the list, and
help- implies that help questions predominate.  We really didn't have a
whole lot of traffic on gnats-devel to begin with.  If traffic picks up,
most likely after the release of v4, you can always elect to start up
yet another list for devel-only discussions.

Personal preference would have directed me to make (keep)
gnats-{devel,user,announce,cvs} lists instead of
{help,info,commit}-gnats, but GNU seems to have a precedence with this
naming convention.  For example, it'd be a lot easier to find the gnats
related lists at http://www.gnu.org/pipermail/ were they prefixed with
the software name instead of the list topic.  Regardless, a list is a
list, and it's really not that big of a deal.

BTW, I'm getting pretty excited to see GNATS v4 coming together! ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD

* Re: GNATS development services moved to gnu.org
@ 2001-10-12 11:07     ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2001-10-12 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU GNATS discussions

    CCW> We really didn't have a whole lot of traffic on gnats-devel to
    CCW> begin with.  If traffic picks up, most likely after the release
    CCW> of v4, you can always elect to start up yet another list for
    CCW> devel-only discussions.

Exactly.

    CCW> Personal preference would have directed me to make (keep)
    CCW> gnats-{devel,user,announce,cvs} lists instead of
    CCW> {help,info,commit}-gnats, but GNU seems to have a precedence
    CCW> with this naming convention.

Yes, the list names must satisfy GNU conventions.  And the consistency
of the overall GNU mailing list names has a precedence over old list
names of a particular subproject.

    CCW> For example, it'd be a lot easier to find the gnats related
    CCW> lists at http://www.gnu.org/pipermail/ were they prefixed with
    CCW> the software name instead of the list topic.

OTOH you can find all GNU announcement lists in a single place.  And
according to the GNU conventions, the lists info-PROJECT and
help-PROJECT should always exist if there are any mailing lists for
PROJECT there at all.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
real programmer?  don't get me started.  if you need to hide your
pathetic excuse for a carreer behind super-macho languages like C, C++,

* Re: GNATS development services moved to gnu.org
@ 2001-10-12 15:58   ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2001-10-12 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Richardson; +Cc: GNU GNATS discussions

    MR>   I guess I should post a bug report on the "LIST classes" call,
    MR> since "class" isn't really a built-in (or rather, doesn't have
    MR> to be).

Please do so otherwise I might forget about it.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
If we are going to start removing packages because of the quality of the
software, wonderful.  I move to remove all traces of the travesty of editors,