* RE: [GNATSWeb] URL length limitation in IE
@ 2005-01-27 19:36 Dieperink Alwin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dieperink Alwin @ 2005-01-27 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tim Buck'; +Cc: help-gnats

Hello Tim,

It can be solved by removing empty parameters from the query url. This was
done partially and inconsistently. Just follow these steps to change your
gnatsweb.pl.

1) Add this function:
sub strip_empty_params
  {
  my ($url) = @_;
  $url =~ s/(\w|-)+=;//g;
  return $url;
  }

2) Change every occurence of "$q->self_url()" with
"strip_empty_params($q->self_url())"
exception in: my ($query_string) = strip_empty_params($q->self_url() =~
m/^[^?]*\?(.*)$/);
remove eventual lines like "$query_string =~ s/(\w|-)+=;//g;" following the
changed line

3) idem with this line in sub store_query:
my $query_string = $q->query_string();

Regards
-- Alwin

From: Tim Buck @ 2005-01-27 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dieperink Alwin; +Cc: help-gnats

On Jan 27, 2005, at 2:12 PM, Dieperink Alwin wrote:

> Hello Tim,
>
> It can be solved by removing empty parameters from the query url. This
> was
> done partially and inconsistently. Just follow these steps to change
> your
> gnatsweb.pl.

The URLs in question were built by hand, and have no empty parameters.
They are over 2K without empty params. So your solution won't help
in this case (though it's a good idea in general!)

Tim Buck * Information Technology Manager * Recognition Research, Inc.
PHONE +1 540 961-6500 * FAX +1 540 961-3568 * EMAIL tbuck@rrinc.com
In its default setup, Windows XP on the Internet amounts to a car parked
in a bad part of town, with the doors unlocked, the key in the ignition,
and a Post-It note on the dashboard saying, "Please don't steal me."
-- Rob Pegoraro

* RE: [GNATSWeb] URL length limitation in IE
@ 2005-01-31 21:24 ` Stuart Stevens
From: Stuart Stevens @ 2005-01-31 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dieperink Alwin', 'Tim Buck'; +Cc: help-gnats

Alwin

I have noticed that gnatsweb.pl is more restrictive than GNATS in regards to
field names.  The 4.0 gnatsweb.pl uses "\w" which is alphanumeric plus the
underline.  This created problems with saving queries when fields have a
dash in the name.  Below I see that you have added the dash.  GNATS allows
just about any character except  space, equals, semicolon, colon and greater
than ( " =;:>" ).  Actually I think that GNATS allows even some of these
characters.

Should GNATS be restricted to "(\w|-)" or some restricted set or should
gnatsweb be enhanced to support additional characters ([^ =;:>])?

Stuart

@ 2005-01-31 21:31 ` Stuart Stevens
From: Stuart Stevens @ 2005-01-31 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dieperink Alwin'; +Cc: help-gnats

Alwin

The gnatsweb interface remembers the "return_url" and it is passed back in
queries and cookies.  This normally takes over a third of the amount of
space for a cookie or a query.  This is then used to return the user to
their previous query.  After a edit, this is used to take the user back.
Often this is not where the user wants to go.  This may cause the execution
of a long query or the user just wants to see their edits.

I believe that the interface can be changed slightly to not remember the
return URL and not save it in cookies.  After an edit, the user can go to
the view interface for the GNAT that was just updated.

Do users depend on the return_URL feature?

Thoughts?

Stuart

@ 2005-01-31 23:52   ` Chad Walstrom
From: Chad Walstrom @ 2005-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Stuart Stevens wrote:
> Do users depend on the return_URL feature?

Not that I know of.  I don't know what Yarin has in store for gnatsweb's
future, but I can definitely see persistence of session-related data on
the web-server side being one of the "must have's".

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/

* Re: [GNATSWeb] URL length limitation in IE
@ 2005-01-27 17:23 ` Chad Walstrom
From: Chad Walstrom @ 2005-01-27 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Tim Buck wrote:
> Has anyone found a way to get around Internet Explorer's 2083
> character URL length limitation in GNATSWeb? (besides not using IE --
> some of my users would revolt if I took that option away).
>
> 2083 seems like a lot, but when doing Advanced Queries the column
> names and such add up very quickly!

Ouch.  Perhaps cookies or server-side sessions could be used for this.

--

@ 2005-01-26 21:45 Tim Buck