public inbox for gnats-prs@sourceware.org
* gnats/218: PRs fail to show up in index
@ 2001-07-13 15:34 dirk
From: dirk @ 2001-07-13 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-gnats

>Number:         218
>Category:       gnats
>Synopsis:       PRs fail to show up in index
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Jul 13 15:34:00 PDT 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     dirk bergstrom, juniper networks, inc.
>Release:        gnats 4.0a
several times a week, PRs disappear from the index (or, in the
case of new PRs, never show up).  this renders them effectively
invisible, and causes great consternation among users.

regenerating the index fixes the problem, but that locks up the
the database for a couple minutes, which annoys users.

interestingly, gnats comes with a database monitoring script,
check-db.sh, which looks for inconsistencies in the index, so
this would appear to be a known problem.
>How-To-Repeat:
run a busy gnats installation.
>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: gnats/218: PRs fail to show up in index
@ 2001-08-16  1:14 Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-08-16  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gnats-prs

The following reply was made to PR gnats/218; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Yngve Svendsen <yngve.svendsen@clustra.com>
To: dirk@juniper.net, gnats-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: gnats/218: PRs fail to show up in index
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:07:43 +0200

 At 22:30 13.07.2001 +0000, dirk@juniper.net wrote:
 >FreeBSD aphid.juniper.net 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE
 >a gnats database with ~16000 PRs, and ~100 frequent users.
 >~60 PRs modified per day, ~30 PRs added per day.
 >several times a week, PRs disappear from the index (or, in the
 >case of new PRs, never show up).  this renders them effectively
 >invisible, and causes great consternation among users.
 >
 >regenerating the index fixes the problem, but that locks up the
 >the database for a couple minutes, which annoys users.
 >
 >interestingly, gnats comes with a database monitoring script,
 >check-db.sh, which looks for inconsistencies in the index, so
 >this would appear to be a known problem.

 Dirk,

 I have seen similar things on GNATS 3.x, where submitting PRs by mail with
 long Subject fields corrupts the index in such a way that some PRs are
 effectively rendered invisible. Could this be the problem here? Could you
 have a look at the PRs that disappear and maybe send me one of them?

 - Yngve